We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon with kids 9 & 5 - recommendations?

STL, MO
Level Contributor
5 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Oregon with kids 9 & 5 - recommendations?

Hello. We are planning a trip to Oregon in late July, with our children 9 & 5. We will be spending a couple of days in Corvallis to visit relatives. I would appreciate thoughts on "must sees" elsewhere with the remaining 6 days we'll have. We do not want to spend all our time in the car. The kids enjoy swimming and want to try horseback riding and fishing. We have heard that Crater Lake is a must. Is there a nice lodge or resort somewhere near Crater Lake or Bend that we could use as a home base? [While we enjoy outdoor activities, I'm not interested in roughing it when it comes to lodging.] Is it reasonable to stay in Bend with a day trip to Crater Lake? Has anyone been to the Seventh Mountain Resort? Any recommendations on fishing or horseback riding providers? Should we skip the coast and do that another time?

I appreciate any input to help us make this a trip that all can enjoy (which also means Mom doesn't want to have to plan and do everything!!)

Thanks

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,066 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oregon with kids 9 & 5 - recommendations?

Sunriver Resort would be perfect. It is a few minutes south of Bend, and about 90 minutes from Crater Lake. There are numerous homes to rent as well as condos and then the lodges themselves. There are two pools, as well as a few at the condos that are for the condo use only. The two main pools are the north and south pools. There is a new fitness center on the north end called Mavericks, and if you rent a home through Sunray or another company, ask for a Mavericks home. They have a new pool that is supposed to be fantastic. There are stables at Sunriver and you can do either group rides or private, as well as lessons.

That said, don't miss the coast either. With 6 extra days, you could spend 3 in Sunriver and 3 at the coast. Either way, both areas book up fast, so make your decision and get lodging booked asap.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Oregon with kids 9 & 5 - recommendations?

Mtngrl and I have this ongoing argument(?) about which is better, Sunriver or Black Butte: http://www.blackbutteranch.com/. ;-) Either would work for your family. Sunriver is larger and has more going on, but the area surrounding Black Butte is just jaw-dropping beautiful. And, a boat ride on Suttle Lake, or a visit to the fish hatchery on the Metolius River would be a kick for the kids. The downside is that Black Butte would add 45-60 minutes to the drive to Crater Lake.

About Crater Lake.... It'll be memorable for you, but probably not for your kids. I'd rate the coast higher on the "must sees" list, especially if you've not visited here before. More to see and do for the entire family.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,066 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oregon with kids 9 & 5 - recommendations?

lol mistletoe:) I almost mentioned Black Butte, but figured you knew more than I did on it, lol! I think for one summer you need to go to Sunriver and I need to go to Black Butte:)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oregon with kids 9 & 5 - recommendations?

You could stay at one of the lavabelles houses:

http://lavabelles.com/

And visit the lava caves:

fs.fed.us/r6/…interest-lavariver.shtml

Or the lava butte:

…usgs.gov/Volcanoes/…framework.html

What can I say? Kids like lava.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Oregon with kids 9 & 5 - recommendations?

"I think for one summer you need to go to Sunriver and I need to go to Black Butte"

But I've already been to Sunriver! More than once, even! ;-) A little aside.... Son turns 21 this summer, so I offered him a trip to Las Vegas, or pretty much anywhere else in the lower 48 he might want to go. He picked Black Butte. Go figure....

Sorry for the hijack, SLS006.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,066 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oregon with kids 9 & 5 - recommendations?

I have only been to Black Butte once...years ago, lol!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,946 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oregon with kids 9 & 5 - recommendations?

Lol, I don't think I've ever been to Black Butte, or if I have it didn't stick in my memory!

SLS, I'm guessing you'll be quite comfortable in Sunriver. A day trip down to Crater Lake would work out very nicely from there, and they also have a public stable and all the various recreational amenities you can think of.

You can do a search of recent postings, I know there were some listings of rental houses, and Sunriver also has a deluxe lodge.

Definitely do the lava tube! Very cool! Bring flashlights or buy them at a Dollar store in Bend.

It's about a 6 hour journey over to the coast from the Bend area. I might suggest Newport since there is a lot to do that would interest your children . . . climbing up lighthouses, exploring tidepools, a good aquarium, a marine science center, boat tours on the bay, getting very close to sea lions on the docks on the bayfront, and of course a big safe beach!

http://www.discovernewport.com/

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,946 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oregon with kids 9 & 5 - recommendations?

Oh, just re-read your posting. [insert emoticon for ooops, lol ...]

Newport is only about an hour from Corvallis, so you could spend 2-3 days there, then head for Sunriver for a few days :-)

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,066 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oregon with kids 9 & 5 - recommendations?

I agree, the lava tube is great. But you can rent a lantern there for a dollar or so. We do that on really hot days and it is nice and cool in there. The lava butte is great as well, as mentioned. Go early there though as they limit the number of cars that go up at any time, so when you get to the kiosk they give you a time for going up. If you have time to kill, go walk out on the path in the lava beds...really interesting!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Oregon with kids 9 & 5 - recommendations?

Not to be outdone..... ;-)

There's a lava tube within easy walking distance of Black Butte too. Not nearly as big as the one others are talking about, though. And you need to bring your own flashlight. We learned quickly that the lights blinking on our daughters shoes when she walked just didn't cut it. ;-)

Get answers to your questions about Crater Lake National...