We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone to Crater Lake in last week of May

South Australia...
Level Contributor
23 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Yellowstone to Crater Lake in last week of May

Hi all,

I understand that Crater Lake will only be partially open at this time of the year.

My itinerary is still very opened ended and will be subject to change which in turn will be driven by the weather as we get closer to May.

One of our options is to drive: Vegas - GC sth - Mon Valley - Moab - Yellowstone - Crater Lake - San Francisco (departure point).....depending on prevailing weather conditions.

IF we were to do this ('we" being two adult males late 50's and adult daughter)....what route would be the most scenic or interesting from Yellowstone to Crater Lake....all three of us are photographers in various degrees of interpretation. Vehicle will be a mid size SUV and experienced on dirt roads, but not so on snow or ice, although the adult daughter will be (snow patroller) to a degree.

Crater Lake
Hiking Trails, Bodies of Water, National Parks, Volcanoes, Waterfalls
Rim Drive
Scenic Drives
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone to Crater Lake in last week of May

How much time do you have?. that is a long trip. consider oher areas more accessible in May like coast

South Australia...
Level Contributor
23 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone to Crater Lake in last week of May

Hi Phirl,

We are initially going to the V8 Supercar race in Austin Tx May 17-19, then fly to Vegas for a couple of nights, May 20 -22 and then fly out of SFO on June 4. The big gap in the middle is unplanned as yet other than having a vehicle booked pick up in Vegas & drop off in SFO.

I have been over there a number of times and my daughter is currently working at Keystone, Co & may or may not join us; my travel buddy, (next door neighbour) has not seen the US.

I plan to cover as much ground as possible, re-visiting some places I have seen (Grand Canyon , MV, Yellowstone) and some I have not eg: (Crater Lake), Gunnison, Rockies.

Edited: 28 January 2013, 01:07
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,664 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone to Crater Lake in last week of May

It's hard to make recommendations on such an indefinite plan. There are just too many variables. I will, however, suggest a possible routing...without specifying a timeline for now.

If you do, indeed, go from Las Vegas up through Utah to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone, you might want to then head across Idaho to Boise and then from Ontario (Oregon) to Baker City (Oregon Trail Interpretive Center great...you can still walk in the ruts made by the covered wagons); Pendleton (a real cowboy and Indian town...with another Oregon Trail Interpretive Center on the Umatilla Indian Reservation reflecting the impact on the Native Americans by the westward movement); through the Columbia Gorge to Portland; then across to the Oregon Coast and straight down 101 through the magnificent redwoods to SF.

Time limits may force you to eliminate part of this itinerary. Again, it's hard to know. Crater Lake won't be worth the extra time, driving and effort to get there. Only the south entrance will be open and it'd be just an quick in and out look.

South Australia...
Level Contributor
23 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellowstone to Crater Lake in last week of May

Thanks for that.

Appreciate it would be just that at Creater Lake, a quick look.

The lure of Yellowstone is strong as I think my travel mate would really like the Cody Museum....but am also conscious of the time restraints.

Much to ponder.

Edited: 28 January 2013, 22:16
Prospect, Oregon
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellowstone to Crater Lake in last week of May

Don't Miss Crater Lake! It is beautiful any time of the year. The Park is open year round and has lots of snow through June. The Facilities open mid May. Lodge, Restaurant. Some hiking is available though most will require Snow shoes which will be available to rent this year for the first time. Oregon weather is quickly changeable so plan all possibilities.

Oregonpoppa is correct that the rim road won't be open all the way around but you can still get to the rim and maybe (maybe) get a room at the lodge. If not there are a few places on the way to Medford.

Go to Pendelton on the northern border then Hood River, Mt. Hood, Bend, The High Dessert Museum just south of Bend cross over to Grants Pass to the Crescent City in California. Then the Coast to SF. If time runs short you can always run down Hwy 5 thru California.

6. Re: Yellowstone to Crater Lake in last week of May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Crater Lake National...