We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crater Lake visit options

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Crater Lake visit options

We plan to drive from Tacoma WA to Springfield OR and then to Crater Lake. We only plan to stop in Springfield For a few hours and then head toward Crater Lake and spend the night and then tour around the next day before driving back to Tacoma. Any suggestions on how beat to do this?

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,546 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crater Lake visit options

Are you planning to do this during this summer?

The route usually recommended as the most scenic is I-5 to Roseburg, the North Umpqua River Scenic Hwy (138) to Diamond Lake and the north entrance to Crater Lake. When you say "spend the night" what did you have in mind. Unless you already have reservations at the Crater Lake Lodge, you'll need to have a Plan B in mind. If you want the quickest way back to Tacoma, you'll go out the south entrance to I-5.

Let us know when you're going and what sort of lodging you're expecting.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crater Lake visit options

Agree best route 138, Suggest you spend night at Diamond Lake Resort. drive CL loop, then head north on 58 to I-5 at Eugene.

Do I think a good idea?? No

You say Charlotte NC. Does not seem like 2 day trip to CL best thing you could do to see NW if your first trip

3. Re: Crater Lake visit options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Crater Lake National...