We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 hours in Crater Lake

NJ
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Topic
7 hours in Crater Lake

What should I do to get the most out of my time at Crater lake. I plan to arrive around 2PM and stay till 9 PM. Hopefully getting some nice shots of the sunset and get amazing photos of the lake during the day.

Any suggestions?

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,372 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 hours in Crater Lake

What time of year? Where will you go after 9 pm?

NJ
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 hours in Crater Lake

July and heading to koa madras on the way to glacier np.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 hours in Crater Lake

150 miles or so Crater Lake to Madras.

We got some great sunset shots from Crater Lake Lodge in Aug a few years ago. so we could see the shadow come across lake.

Crater Lake rim road not easy in RV if that is what you are driving. not a lot of places to park either waiting for sunset.

NJ
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 hours in Crater Lake

Any hikes worth it in the area? What would you suggest I do with my time?

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
707 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 hours in Crater Lake

By July the snow should have melted opening all of the rim road. You can check road closures, weather conditions, and lake visibility at:

nps.gov/crla/…current-conditions.htm

Have a great trip!

Edited: 20 January 2014, 20:38
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 hours in Crater Lake

Since you'll be in a motorhome, sabsehpehle, you might want to take the trolley around the lake. That's assuming it will be running in 2014 summer:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g143020-d1…

If you are driving to Madras in the dark, be alert to possible wildlife in the road. Not good to hit a deer! Had you thought about staying near Crater Lake that night? There are a few campgrounds and RV parks nearby.

NJ
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 hours in Crater Lake

I am going to be in a rental car not motorhome. I want to get a head start to GNP otherwise I will waste a whole day in just commuting there.

Edited: 20 January 2014, 22:42
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 hours in Crater Lake

Ah, I think phirl and I assumed motorhome because of your reference to Madras KOA ;-)

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 hours in Crater Lake

to me 7 hours in Crater Lake a waste of time when you have schedules to meet. sunset takes a little over an hour.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 7 hours in Crater Lake

From your other post gather you are on whirlwind tour of National Parks in west. You will miss some great things in Oregon, like Newberry Crater Nat Vol Monument, our other crater lakes. will be dark when you go by there. and Columba Gorge Nat Scenic area

Trip from Madras to Spokane is boring

I will say, we are sunset/rise followers. My favorite was at Crater Lake. we spent night at CL Lodge and caught both sunrise and sunset. watching the shadow of the rim go across the lake is amazing. Sunset from Maui over Molokai also pretty good, and many on Oreg coast.

Get answers to your questions about Crater Lake National...