We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scotty's Castle Days at Furnace Creek, Oct. 2017

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
16,578 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Scotty's Castle Days at Furnace Creek, Oct. 2017

As many of you know, there are few visitor programs during the summer because of hotter weather and often lower staffing. There are occasional events, but usually the only presentation is the park movie at the Visitor Center.

One of the first events of the new visitor season will be SCOTTY'S CASTLE DAYS, a special two-day event next month to show visitors what is going on there and what they can expect when it reopens in 2019. Interpretive rangers in historic attire will talk about life at the castle, the underground utilities, the damage and repairs, the challenges of preserving and restoring while keeping the Castle’s historic character, and the new Visitor Center and exhibits, and more, and visitors can enjoy a new virtual reality tour.

Scotty’s Castle Days will be October 7-8, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., at Furnace Creek Visitor Center (no events at the Castle; the area is still closed to the public).

Regular daily events resume in November, with indoor and outdoor talks, demonstrations (no, not the First Amendment kind), guided walks or hikes, occasional adventure hikes, evening auditorium or patio programs, and the ever-popular stargazing, sometimes with telescopes, led by rangers or visiting amateur or professional astronomers. When they start, schedules and program details can be found on the park website:

https:/…index.htm

Go to Plan Your Visit > Things to Do > Guided Tours

9 replies to this topic
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,518 posts
6,400 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scotty's Castle Days at Furnace Creek, Oct. 2017

Hmm

I thought the room they had for the Scotty's Castle photos and exhibits at the Furnace Creek Visitor Center was downright boring when we saw it in August

I hope the talks are much better and more fun.

Best to them. But until Scotty's Castle reopens, its not the same.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,578 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scotty's Castle Days at Furnace Creek, Oct. 2017

I know the one you mean; it was installed when I was there working in May and June.

It's a bit of a shock to have a major visitor attraction and historic site suddenly clobbered by a storm and put out of commission for 3+ years. The park staff knows this is not a true substitute for having the real Castle open, but I'm sure they're doing the best they can and looking forward to the reopening as much as visitors are.

Camp Sherman, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Scotty's Castle Days at Furnace Creek, Oct. 2017

Hmm......Of course an exhibit of anything can't be even close to the real thing. Perhaps it is just enough to show people who haven't been and just an information/educational exhibit of what is/will be there, as FR said. Just enough until Scotty's opens in a year and a half, hopefully. I'll have to check it out on my visit. We did the limited paid tour in March. It was okay, not sure if it was worth the time but my wife liked it better than I did. Somewhat of a fund raiser and that's fine. One thing that concerns me. I'm not sure if they will be replanting the palms trees. I know they aren''t irrigating them. Yes they aren't native to the area but the lushness of the place is one thing that made it unique and somewhat magical. I do hope they do irrigate the trees ands shrubs. They need help!

Edited: 15 September 2017, 23:33
Coloma, California
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scotty's Castle Days at Furnace Creek, Oct. 2017

Nothing will come close to staying a few nights at the Castle and meeting in front of the Hugh fireplace to listen to Scotty spin many tall tales.

I had the privilege of this as a youngster and it still is one of the most cherished memories of my childhood.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
21,987 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scotty's Castle Days at Furnace Creek, Oct. 2017

I guess it's a shock unless you look at the US Virgin Islands, where they are facing years without their tourist sites, water, housing.........

Perspective. Donate.

Edited: 15 September 2017, 23:51
Camp Sherman, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Scotty's Castle Days at Furnace Creek, Oct. 2017

DV Facebook page now says not opening until 2020! But it doesn't say when in 2020.

Too bad I'll miss Scotty's Castle Days. Too soon.

https://www.facebook.com/DeathValleyNP

nsgw,

Wow! Scotty died in 1954! I was born in '56 and first went to the park in '66 when I was nine. Must of been a neat time when the castle was still open as in the old days.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,578 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scotty's Castle Days at Furnace Creek, Oct. 2017

Good reminder, Plumeria. Perspective is important. I've made several disaster relief donations, and I'll contribute again next month when more money comes.

I'll have to look into that 2020 vs 2019 opening date. I think 2019 was always a projected, hoped-for, aimed-for time, but like anything else, there can be delays for various reasons. When you're working with a historic property close to 90 years old that has never had a full rehab before, and artifacts of organic materials like wood, leather, cotton, and wool, and a climate that literally laps up humidity out of the air, cautious is better. This is not just a Band-Aid, but a once-in-a-century opportunity to preserve and protect the Castle and its contents, and the NPS and other public and private entities working on this want to get it right.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,578 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scotty's Castle Days at Furnace Creek, Oct. 2017

Bump.

Scotty's Castle Days will be this coming weekend.

Camp Sherman, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Scotty's Castle Days at Furnace Creek, Oct. 2017

From the DV Facebook page a slide show:

https://veer.tv/videos/historic-treasures-of…

https://www.facebook.com/DeathValleyNP

Reply to: Scotty's Castle Days at Furnace Creek, Oct. 2017
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted