We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone know which tour companies go to DV in July?

Hamilton
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone know which tour companies go to DV in July?

I’ve posted this on two forums, and was told to post it here by ’Frisco Roadrunner’

Does anyone know of a Tour company that go’s to Death Valley on Monday’s in July. We have only one full day in Las Vegas, so Monday July 5th is the only option. I’ve seen Bundu Bashers do a bus trip, but it’s $225 pp. Adventure Photo Tours seem to go according to their web site, $199 pp, but have not got confirmation that they would go in July yet. ATV Action Tours do a trip as well but not on Mondays.

I know most would say hire a car instead. I’m not really keen on tours as well, but it is nice to sit back and let someone else do all the thinking at times. And as we have never been to the area, and it’s our first trip to the U.S. (it’s the second to last day in the country after 5 weeks travelling) it would be a safer alternative, but costly.

The main reason I want a tour, is my partner has concerns about the dangers of the heat, which is not unreasonable, and would rather not go if we did it ourselves, even though she wants to see the place. We planned (not very well it seems) our trips around the country to end in Las Vegas solely to go to Death Valley.

So, does anyone know of a company that would take us on a Monday in July?

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,742 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone know which tour companies go to DV in July?

The choice of tour services from Las Vegas may be just as limited as from San Francisco in the summer. There is a company called Pink Jeep Tours that does Death Valley tours from Las Vegas but also not in summer. If you were to go at other seasons, it would be $239, including lunch.

If your only reason to end your U.S. trip in Las Vegas is to see Death Valley, I think you should hire a car and do at least a day trip if you don't have time to stay over. It isn't ideal, but you'd have a chance to see many of the unique natural wonders. One of the "Top Questions" on this forum is about day trips from Las Vegas, so take a look at that thread and also do a search on the forum to see other ideas.

Safety is a big concern for many visitors, but common-sense precautions and preparations will keep you out of trouble unless there is some really exceptional situation.

Modern cars will be fine. In fact, most car companies use the park as a test lab. They are often seen on the roads, doing things that are illegal for the average person (they have special permits from the National Park Service) and trying to put maximum stress on all vehicle systems. If you hire a car, the chances are that its prototype was tested in Death Valley. IOW, don't worry about the car if you drive normally.

There is no cell phone coverage in the park, but pay phones are located at the resorts, visitor contact locations, and several roadside info kiosk or rest areas.

Since you're coming all this way and might not be back very soon, Death Valley is a must-see. I often go in the summer, but my plans aren't firm for this year yet. If I knew for sure I'd be there on July 5, I'd offer you a tour.

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone know which tour companies go to DV in July?

Death Valley is spectacular,we have been twice in the Summer,it's such a pity to give it so little time though,you need to stay there a couple of nights minimum to do it justice,yes it is hot but we have never found it an uncomfortable heat,just be sensible,the night time skies are stunning.

Hamilton
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone know which tour companies go to DV in July?

Done a bit of extra digging and have found the following tour companies who will go (pending adequate numbers) to Death Valley in the summer. They are:

Adventure Photo Tours $199 pp (all days of the week)

ATV Action Tours $169 pp (Sunday, Tuesday & Fridays)

Bundu Bashers at $225 pp (all days of the week)

Death Valley Tours $199 pp (Mondays & Wednesdays)

Costs is for a single adult.

Edited: 03 May 2010, 07:23
USA
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone know which tour companies go to DV in July?

Death Valley in July? That's easy. Do a Google search for tour companies owned by either mad dogs or Englishmen.

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone know which tour companies go to DV in July?

Must admit the first time we went to Death Valley we had just seen a Discovery Channel prog about it & wondered what we had let ourselves in for,arriving at Furnace Creek Ranch having barely seen another vehicle on the road we expected to be pretty much alone but on opening the reception door we had trouble getting inside for the number of people there,many of which had turned up without a booking looking for a room only to be told that the place was full,similar scenes greeted us the following Summer so it certainly is popular that time of year,some of us don't have an option for when we take our main vacation.

Hamilton
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone know which tour companies go to DV in July?

Sorry. I need to do a correction to the information I gave earlier with regard to what days of the week Adventure Photo Tours & Death Valley Tour travel on. It is:

Adventure Photo Tours $199 pp (Mondays & Wednesdays)

ATV Action Tours $169 pp (Sunday, Tuesday & Fridays)

Bundu Bashers at $225 pp (all days of the week)

Death Valley Tours start from $199 pp (all days of the week)

Hamilton
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone know which tour companies go to DV in July?

Well we have gone and come back from Death Valley. Pretty warm at 47 degrees Celsius, then the wind blows. All was ok, as long as you have water and shelter (air-conditioned car helps).

Great trip. Well worth the effort. We just had to put up with Las Vegas. We are not overly impressed with the place.

What I must say thought was the tour guide, Tim from Adventure Photo Tours. He was very helpful. Nice trip with only 5 in the group. One person above the minimum of four people needed to go.

Thanks to all that commented and helped me with my enquiry. Much appreciated.

So to sum up. If anyone is toying with the idea of going to Death Valley and is concerned about heat in summer, as long as you plan ahead, take plenty of water and stay on the main road you will do fine.

8. Re: Anyone know which tour companies go to DV in July?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2011, 05:31
Get answers to your questions about Death Valley National...