We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

death valley tour

Australia
10 posts
Save Topic
death valley tour

We will be in Vegas last week of April and would like to take an organised day tour to Death Valley . Has anyone recently taken one of these tours they could favourably recommend.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: death valley tour

Is renting a car and drive yourselves out of the question?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,262 posts
650 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: death valley tour

Death Valley is best explored by getting out of the car and doing some walking around. Depending on how old you are, driving is easy from Vegas to DVNPand you will see a lot more than you can with Pink Jeep Tours. I agree with Tet. However, either way, don't miss Death Valley. Nothing quite like it anywhere else.

ZB

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,478 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: death valley tour

Pink Jeep has guided all-day tours of Death Valley starting in Las Vegas.

pinkjeep.com/jeep-tours/…death-valley.shtml

I don't know every single place they go, but guided tours always mean you go where they go, stay for the length of time they stay, stop for lunch when they decide to, and if you want to see other places, it's just too bad.

The best tour is one where you go at your own pace, see the places you're interested in, and make a few discoveries on your own. Some of the places Pink Jeep goes are not off the paved roads and you can drive there in a regular car.

Look at the FAQs in the upper righthand corner for a thread about one-day visits from Las Vegas, and see if that gives you some useful ideas. Then come back with more specific questions if you wish.

Australia
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: death valley tour

Thanks for the replies, and no self drive is not out of the question and after reading the FAQ's and the very informative answers from Frisco, we have decided to do just that, after leaving Vegas our driving trip will continue to other National Parks in Utah, and Arizona getting a tad excited at the moment.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: death valley tour

If you stay for the night in Death Valley NP you can drive from there in app 5+ hours to Zion and you'll have the chance to experience fabulous stargazing in DV.

United States
Level Contributor
783 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: death valley tour

I just did almost the exact trip you're proposing so thought I'd link you to my trip report in case it helps.

http://tinyurl.com/3gm9ax6

Here's a link with some really good advice for getting around DV as well that people here has given me.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143021-i2027-k431…

I personally think you should spend the night in DV too but I wouldn't drive more than 3 1/2 hrs straight on more than one day of your trip. Actually if I had had the time, I would have added a night in Page, a night camping in DV, and another night in both Zion and Grand Canyon. This way I could do more stuff and have shorter drive times.

Would fly into Flagstaff and out at LV. Surprisingly the flights costed a little more flying into Flagstaff but the rental car was cheaper (when I checked) so it would have costed me about the same amount of money.

FYI, Bryce has fantastic stars as well so don't stay a night in DV just for the stars unless its cloudy in Bryce. I couldn't even come close to seeing everything I wanted to in DV though so the extra night is worth it regardless of stars.

Edited: 10 April 2011, 19:41
United States
Level Contributor
783 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: death valley tour

Oh, I don't know if you would want to follow my exact itinerary in that link I gave. My mom had a timeshare in LV we had to use so we wanted to stay as many nights there as possible.

If I needed 1.75 days in Zion to do the things I wanted to do, I'd spend the night in LV so I don't have to drive 5 hrs at the end of the day to DV. If I only needed half a day in Zion, I'd drive straight to DV.

8. Re: death valley tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 02:19