We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Furnance Creek- Inn or Ranch?

chicago
Level Contributor
593 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Furnance Creek- Inn or Ranch?

I just booked the Inn for a Sunday in May. Standard King room. Was email special for $249.00.. The email special for Ranch Standard 2 queen bed was $130.00.. Originally I was going to stay at Ranch until I received this email special. Is the Inn that much better? Thanks

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,138 posts
610 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Furnance Creek- Inn or Ranch?

Yes, it surely is. It has very nice rooms, although it depends on where your Standard King room is. There is a very nice bar complete with a front porch deck overlooking the valley. The swimming pool is really great, huge, spring fed of course, with two wood burning fire places for heating up after swimming under the stars. A sauna is in the pool area, and a bar at the pool open during the day. The restaurant tends toward "desert gourmet" which means it is expensive, has gotten progressively better the last few years with a new chef, and is surely the best place to eat within 100 miles. They have a good wine selection by the bottle and glass. The place is friendly and extremely well run and I would really recommend it. Message me if you want some more information. BTW, most rooms have outside access and chairs, and the palm tree oasis is a quite unbelievable place to cool down and walk around.

ZB

chicago
Level Contributor
593 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Furnance Creek- Inn or Ranch?

Thanks for all that info ZB.. I really don't know which room they will give me but the regular price is $365.00

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,138 posts
610 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Furnance Creek- Inn or Ranch?

You can call them directly and ask for the best view room in the Standard King class. The Luxury Kings have balconies. The Standard Kings do not. Just talk to the front desk folks and although they will not absolutely promise you , they do try hard to meet requests. Regardless, you can sit on the porch which is kind of a deck, porch if your room does not have a view. It is still very worthwhile to stay there if you can afford it.

ZB

chicago
Level Contributor
593 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Furnance Creek- Inn or Ranch?

Ok ZB, I will do that.. Probably can call the night before I go. Probably will not help calling earlier than that. Thanks

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,308 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Furnance Creek- Inn or Ranch?

The Inn is a classic! That's a great price. We spend our time at the pool or walking the grounds, not so much in the room during the day. Bring your tennis rackets, playing on the lighted courts just after sunset is magical.

By the way, I usually don't like hotel pools but this one is special and the water is naturally heated.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,159 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Furnance Creek- Inn or Ranch?

The two parts of Furnace Creek are totally different places. Both were originally owned by the Pacific Coast Borax Company (corporate ancestor of today’s worldwide Borax firm and the 20 Mule Team brand). They were its headquarters and operations center for mining in Death Valley. The Ranch was originally called Greenland Ranch, and they raised grain, veggies, and fruit for the workers and livestock. Yes, they grew crops there, in the bottom of the hottest, driest place in North America. The water was and still is supplied by Texas Springs and Travertine Springs in the Funeral Mountains to the east, which provide over a million gallons per day. All the water for the resorts and Park Service use, including pools and irrigation, is piped down by gravity flow (no pumps needed under most conditions). The pool water circulates through so quickly that almost no chemical treatment is needed, then it goes out to irrigate the landscaping, golf course, and date palms.

The Inn is a historic Spanish-style “villa” built in the 1920s, before Death Valley even became a national monument. It was also built by the borax company, which was developing borax sources elsewhere and winding down some of its DV mining activities. Company officials foresaw that the area would become a magnet for visitors attracted by the unique natural wonders and the weather.

The Inn is built into a hillside, and many rooms face the salt flats and Panamint range (the sunset views are to die, or murder, for!). The buildings themselves are charmingly old-fashioned, with period architecture, hand cut and laid stone walls and walkways, a tunnel in the hill, a great pool, and the gardens that Zabby mentioned, which are on terraces on the hill with stone walls and paths, streams, windmills, figurines, and other fanciful adornments, and seating. The Inn has its own tennis courts if you feel athletic.

The Inn is definitely for adults or sophisticated youngsters. Kids will feel quite grownup there, in a way they might not at a Motel 6 or even a Hilton. It’s the grande dame of the Death Valley resorts, and the dining room has a dress code. It used to be very specific, including coats and ties for men and dresses or skirts for women for dinner. Now it simply calls for “casual elegance” and specifies no tank or T shirts, shorts, or blue jeans.

The Ranch is a mainstream, more family-style resort with more services and facilities. That sometimes appeals to families, and of course it costs less to stay there. It’s a lot busier than the Inn, which appeals to some folks but can also give it a more generic outdoor resort feeling. The rooms are in cabins, duplexes, and a “highrise” section (two-story buildings, the tallest structures in Death Valley). There is a full-size golf course, also tennis and swimming, and from late fall to spring there are guided horse tours. The stables are in public view at the southwest corner of the Ranch property, so people can go look at the horses even if they won’t be riding. Other services include the post office, general store, gas station, bicycle rental, and several restaurants (the 19th Hole at the golf course is open to the public and has a delicious jalapeño pepper cheeseburger).

For sightseeing right on the Ranch property, there’s the Borax Museum, the huge solar generation plant (reputed to be the biggest in the travel-tourist industry in the U.S.), the date palm groves (if you’re a churchgoer and a nondenominational Christian service meets your needs, it’s held in the date grove on Sunday mornings in mild weather—a grand setting for worship), the Furnace Creek volunteer fire department, bird-watching at the “marsh” on the northwest corner of the golf course, and the Furnace Creek Airport.

The Inn and Ranch are a short walk apart, so folks can go back and forth for whatever reason they wish. The public is generally welcome to walk and look around everywhere except the guest hallways of the hotel buildings or the golf course other than the bird marshes.

chicago
Level Contributor
593 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Furnance Creek- Inn or Ranch?

Thanks, I will be leaving Las Vegas Early Sunday morning May 6th and going to Scotty's Castle, Then see some sites on the way to the Inn.. What is a good time to arive at the Inn on Sunday? I have all day Monday also since there is no big rush to get back to LV.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,159 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Furnance Creek- Inn or Ranch?

If you have a reservation, you can arrive anytime. the front office is staffed 24 hours.

You'll probably have some time before night to enjoy the pool and gardens and pick a spot to watch the sunset. If you want to check on the dining room hours, here's the number.

760-786-3385.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,138 posts
610 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Furnance Creek- Inn or Ranch?

While there is a dress code, it is not enforced for guests. I have regularly eaten breakfast in hikers and shorts and t shirt but in not in the evening although I have worn jeans and a collared shirt and been right at home. It is much more relaxed than it has ever been and is better for it.

ZB

chicago
Level Contributor
593 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Furnance Creek- Inn or Ranch?

Well, i am not worrying about eating there.. i can go to the Ranch to eat.. My plan is to leave Las Vegas at 6am.. Go to Scotty's castle. Stop at that ghost town. See some sites on way to Furnace creek.. Get to Furnance creek Iinn about 4pm. Go to the pool. Visit the Ranch. Stay at Inn that evening. Next morning I will than visit Zariskie,Dante,Badwater then back to las Vegas late afternoon.

Get answers to your questions about Death Valley National...