We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Church services in & around Death Valley

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,297 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Church services in & around Death Valley

Another TA p.m’d to ask about religious services in Death Valley. Since this might be of general interest (people do often get a spiritual awakening while in such magnificent natural surroundings), I thought I’d give a more complete answer as well as reply specifically to the folks who asked me.

If anyone reading this is looking for an Easter sunrise service, it will be at the Sand Dunes at 6:00 a.m. tomorrow (Easter Sunday).

Regular services are at 10:45 a.m. Sundays in the Furnace Creek Ranch date palm grove (behind the fire station, north of the Post Office). You’ll see the seats out among the trees, looking toward the Panamint range as well as the palm trees and part of the golf course. What a grand setting; I wish my church would come down and do an occasional service! But then who’d want to go back inside? :) . Stovepipe Wells Village also has a Sunday service in the auditorium at 9:00 a.m.

These are by the Christian Ministry in the National Parks, which was created to provide a ministry for people who visit or work in parks. They recruit and send pastors and theology students to dozens of parks in summer or (as in DV) other peak visitor seasons. They hire on with park resorts, live in employee housing, and are encouraged to engage in daily ministry as appropriate. While nondenominational, they lean toward mainstream and evangelical Protestant. The worship style will vary with the people conducting.

www.acmnp.com/

Catholic Mass is held on 1st and 3rd Sundays at 6:15 p.m. This is at the Furnace Creek Ranch recreation building; ask at the hotel front office for directions. I don’t know which jurisdiction of the church provides this so I have no contact info.

I’m sorry to report that in-park services do not go all year. They end around the time the Inn closes for the season and resume in the fall. However, the “Date Grove Chapel” is open to the public any time. And who’s to say you can’t take your scriptures, prayers, and questions for God anywhere you think He might be, and have your own personal worship? Psalm 23 takes on new meaning at Badwater or out in the Sand Dunes!

The nearest churches are in Beatty, 40 miles from FC or SPW.

-- Baptist (aka Hilltop Christian Church), 1501 SR 374. Just inside the west end of town on the north side of the road; you can’t miss the slender white spire. 775-553-2864.

Sunday School: Children 9:00-10:15, adults 10:00-10:45

Worship service: 11:00 a.m.

Wednesday night Bible study and Saturday movie and fellowship available

-- Latter-day Saint, 801 North C Street. From Hwy 374, turn north on C (left if coming from DV), go as far as Hill St. and look for the white and light yellow modular with a spire. 775-553-2051.

Worship service 10:00 a.m., followed by Sunday School for different ages, then men/women/youth/children specific groups.

-- Beatty Community Church, Knight Ave. at Watson St. From Hwy 374, turn south on C (right if coming from DV) then left on Knight to the reverse L-shaped building with a spire. 775-553-2088

Sunday School: Children 9:00 a.m. at Hilltop Christian, bus provided; adults 9:30 a.m.

Worship Service: 11:00.

Wednesday night Bible study available

From Panamint Springs, Trona is closer and has Baptist, Catholic, Four-Square Gospel, Presbyterian, and Community churches. The closest synagogue is Temple Beth Torah, which meets at the Interfaith Chapel on the China Lake Naval Weapons Center base in Ridgecrest. Their website has a listing for the president of the congregation, so I thought it would be OK to post it: J. L. Wieder, 760-373-3336.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Church services in & around Death Valley

Wanted to know any updates on Easter services in the Park (2013)? A sunrise service would be great.

Furnace Creek Resort confirmed a 9:00 am service every Sunday at the "Date Grove".

I did see your blog mentioning about last year's 2012 Easter service at the Sand Dunes (6:00)am and wanted to see if that would be happening again this year??

Thanks for any help!

So Cal
Level Contributor
9,500 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Church services in & around Death Valley

Frisco, thank you for posting this. Reminder to me to check into service info before I head out next time.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,297 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Church services in & around Death Valley

OK... so the latest on Easter sunrise service is "probably." I just made a bunch of phone calls and the info is still sketchy (be patient, after all, there's still over a week to go!)

Furnace Creek and Stovepipe Wells resorts do not have definite info, The NPS has a permit application on file from the Christian Ministry in the National Parks, which is the org. that sponsors church services. The permit has not been finalized, meaning it is not official and so an event cannot be publicly posted.

Going on the premise that it will happen, it would be at the Sand Dunes at sunrise, which is at 6:35 A.M. on March 31. Civil twilight is 6:09 a.m., which in realistic terms means the time when the human eye can see reasonably clear. It would be a good idea to get there then or even before, to allow time to park and walk to the dunes.

BTW, no one I spoke to seems to have a phone # for the Christian Ministry office or contact person in Death Valley, otherwise I'd post that and let you call at your convenience. I will try to make another call or two early in the week, because Friday p.m. isn't always a good time to reach people. I will be in and out of internet contact next week (going to Carrizo Plain) but will try to prioritize this.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Church services in & around Death Valley

I like your comment: ........"And who’s to say you can’t take your scriptures, prayers, and questions for God anywhere you think He might be, and have your own personal worship? Psalm 23 takes on new meaning at Badwater or out in the Sand Dunes!"

All so true!!

When we get there, if I hear of anything for a sunrise service...I"ll try to post it here.

Everytime I post the question on Death Valley's Facebook page...someone keeps removing it. So much for "tolerance"...right? LOL

https://www.facebook.com/DeathValleyNP…

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,297 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Church services in & around Death Valley

Here's another FYI about Sunday services in DV.

The ones at Furnace Creek in the Date Grove are a regular happening during the visitor season. Services at Stovepipe Wells are not a "given" but may vary depending on how fully staffed the ministry is. It may happen some weeks and it may not, or it may not happen all season if they are really shorthanded. So check with Stovepipe Wells at 760-786-2387 if this is a significant matter for you. Or just go to the Date Grove, which is a much nicer setting for worship than an auditorium :)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Church services in & around Death Valley

Frisco........

Thank you!! Great feedback. And I the "Date Grove" does sound nice (outdoors?).

Bless you for taking time from your busy day to share!!

~ Cece

1 Corinthians 1:4

I always thank my God for you because of his grace given you in Christ Jesus.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,248 posts
643 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Church services in & around Death Valley

Sorry, Just had to jump into this topic. I personally think Death Valley is one gigantic church of god, whatever or whoever you think her or him to be. Death Valley is a huge cathedral, and I agree with you Frissy, it does somehow bring out the spiritual nature of man....unless of course you are still looking for the lost Gunsight Mine...then it might be bringing out something else.

ZB

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,297 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Church services in & around Death Valley

Yes, the Date Grove is in the date grove! It's at Furnace Creek Ranch bordering the golf course. In the main visitor area of the ranch, walk onto the gravel road to the left of the Post Office and you'll see the fire station. The Date Grove is behind it, and you'll see the wooden seating. The seats face the Panamint mountain range. People are welcome to go out there anytime.

-----------------

Psalm 148 :)

** "...unless of course you are still looking for the lost Gunsight Mine...then it might be bringing out something else." **

Proverbs 16:16 ;^)

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,248 posts
643 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Church services in & around Death Valley

Frissy, I am sure you are trying to say something, but I have no earthly idea what Proverbs 16:16 is! Does this give me a clue as to where the lost mine is? 16 north and 16 south of what?

Thanks. I am sure you have just started a new goldrush in Death Valley heaven.

ZB

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,297 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Church services in & around Death Valley

** "Frissy, I am sure you are trying to say something, but I have no earthly idea what Proverbs 16:16 is! " **

That's because it isn't earthly!

:)

Get answers to your questions about Death Valley National...