We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I think I have boobed. Help please!

leicestershire
Level Contributor
44 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
I think I have boobed. Help please!

We are staying at Stovepipe Wells in Death Valley for one night, then heading up to Mammoth Lakes.

The problem being I was hoping to go from Death Valley straight into the National Forest - Kings Canyon etc.

Reading between the lines on other links, I think we are on the wrong side of the entrances.

My son wants to see the General Sherman and I think I have blown it.

I know we can get to Mount Whitney etc, So, if I have made a mistake, could anyone advise us on the most scenic route from DV to Mammoth. No hurry with the driving for that day.

All accommodations are paid for and so can't be altered.

Thanks

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
59,331 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I think I have boobed. Help please!

Here is a map that will show that you are indeed on the wrong side of the Sierra Nevada mountain range: nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/upload/region.pdf

The most scenic route to Mammoth is out DVNP at Panamint, over to Lone Pine, then north on Hwy 395. I'll search for some past threads with info about that drive.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,730 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I think I have boobed. Help please!

From Stovepipe Wells to Mammoth, there is nothing BUT scenery, grand and spectacular natural splendor wherever you look. As PNWF said, you go west on Hwy 190 until it meets Hwy 136 for Lone Pine. Along the way are Mosaic Canyon if you didn't already go there, Panamint Springs resort and nearby Darwin Falls (4wd sometimes needed), Father Crowley Vista Point, and lots of places along 190 to see clusters of Joshua Trees.

The town of Keeler is on the shore of the former Owens Lake, now a desert marsh because of the diversion of the main river supplying it to fill the Los Angeles Aqueduct. Owens Lake is now an area for harvesting various mineral salts, and you'll see refineries at several places. The colors on the surface are from algae and the sun shining on it at different angles through the day.

Along 136, you'll see Mt. Whitney ahead. The peak that appears tallest is not Mt. Whitney, but Lone Pine Peak because it is closer and somewhat southwest of Mt. Whitney.

Lone Pine is a charming small town with all services, a fine visitor center with info about all of the Eastern Sierra and Northern Mojave Desert, and a movie museum. This area has been popular with Hollywood, and you can drive partway up Mt. Whitney Portal and see rock formations made famous in many movies. North of Lone Pine is a national historic site commemorating a less positive episode in American history, Manzanar, where thousands of U.S. citizens were confined during WWII because they were the wrong race.

Every town on Hwy 395 has essential services and you’ll never be more than an hour from food, fuel, stores, and lodging. The biggest town is Bishop, and a special attraction there is Laws Museum, on Hwy 6 off the main road. It’s a railroad museum built around a “village” assembled from old buildings collected around the Eastern Sierra. There are several trains and the depot is original; Laws was once a stop on the old Carson and Colorado RR. The buildings contain themed exhibits: historic dental or medical equipment, clothing, old bottles, antique cameras, etc.

From SPW to Mammoth is about 185 miles, not counting sightseeing detours. So you'll have time to enjoy it in a leisurely way and stop often to see things and take pictures.

Getting to Sequoia National Park is more complicated. You didn’t mention Yosemite; do you plan to go there? The most direct way from Mammoth to Sequoia is through Yosemite: north on 395 to Lee Vining, then over Tioga Pass. During peak visitor seasons, this is a popular and busy area. You couldn’t do justice to Yosemite in a day, and even two days isn’t really enough. Park lodgings are often spoken for months in advance, but people do occasionally luck out. Outside the park, motels in Lee Vining or the Tioga Pass Resort to the west are the closest lodgings near Tioga Pass.

Not counting sightseeing, from Mammoth to Yosemite Valley this way is a little over 100 miles. You would need to leave Yosemite toward Fresno, the gateway city for Sequoia Park. From Yosemite Valley to Sequoia is about 200 miles.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,707 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I think I have boobed. Help please!

Just to be clearer, the folks who were sent to Manzanar were Japanese specifically not the "wrong race". The USA government was paranoid that they'd be the "enemy" during WWII.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,730 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I think I have boobed. Help please!

** Just to be clearer, the folks who were sent to Manzanar were Japanese specifically not the "wrong race". **

I'm using this loosely. I suspect it would have been far easier to target a group of suspected saboteurs, spies, or seditionists who "looked different" from "most Americans." It would also be easier to justify this to "most Americans." And people being easier to target, or the targeting easier to justify, was based on race and/or ethnicity.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,828 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I think I have boobed. Help please!

To be even clearer, the majority of those imprisoned at camps like Manzanar were American citizens of Japanese descent--they were not Japanese.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,730 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I think I have boobed. Help please!

** "To be even clearer, the majority of those imprisoned at camps like Manzanar were American citizens of Japanese descent--they were not Japanese." **

As I said... U.S. citizens.

Anyway, I doubt the OP is interested in our semantic discourse. Their dilemma is a common one, shared by many people who do not realize there is no eastern vehicle entry to Sequoia National Park. And we have to try to help them make lemonade out of their lemon.

One thing we ought to know from you, Leicestershire, is what season of the year you will be here. If it will be winter, you can disregard what I said about Yosemite because Tioga Pass is closed once it becomes too cumbersome to keep it clear.

Stoke on Trent...
Level Contributor
699 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I think I have boobed. Help please!

You can tell your son that if you stop at Father Crowleys Lookout and you are very lucky, (as we were), he may see fighter jets screaming past at about the same level as you are standing. I was just too slow with the camera but it was a great sight.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
623 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I think I have boobed. Help please!

They all practice canyon flying right there. If you stay long enough and are lucky you can experience quite a thrill. I also have seen believe it or not a Hercules do the same thing right there except I was on the Rainbow Canyon side.

ZB

leicestershire
Level Contributor
44 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I think I have boobed. Help please!

So much help, thanks a million.

I will print this off and take it with me.

leicestershire
Level Contributor
44 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I think I have boobed. Help please!

We are coming in mid July, and yes we are going to Yossemite, but unfortunately only for the one night.

Get answers to your questions about Death Valley National...