We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Morning weather in June...

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
255 reviews
Save Topic
Morning weather in June...

If we enter the park around 7.30am and leave at around noon will we be missing, in large part, the worst heat of the day?

Thank you.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,699 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Morning weather in June...

Yes. The heat usually peaks out later in the day.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Morning weather in June...

Thank you.

Nevada
Level Contributor
2,013 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Morning weather in June...

LDN ~~

What I want to add is this: Yes, the hottest part of the day peaks around 4 PM to sundown, HOWEVER, you can expect VERY HOT TEMPERATURES in the mornings. If the hottest part of the day is 125 degrees -- realistically -- then you can expect the morning temperatures to be over 100 degrees and the night temperatures in the 90s.

I was thinking last night -- Do you want to rethink the "convertible" car idea while you still have the time? Maybe rent a hard top vehicle where you can be physically more comfortable and most importantly, you will be able to keep yourselves cooler and better hydrated. Something tells me (call it my hospitality experience owing a B&B for 12 years) but something tells me that you might not realize how HOT, hot can be, especially in dry heat when the heat sneaks up on you without you realizing it. Say, you drive with the top down on the car for 2 or 3 hours in the desert. Uh-oh! The ultra-violet rays are very strong in deserts -- and in the mountains -- where you have clear atmospheres (no fog, no humidity, no impurities in the air, no smog).

You need to have a cooler iced up and kept in your vehicle full of cold bottles of water in your desert holiday. As soon as you get your car rental, I recommend that you buy a cooler or ice chest at a sporting goods store, or a store like WalMart or Target. When your trip is over, donate the ice chest to a second hand store. You can buy ice at any food market. I would not even dream of going through the desert without an ice chest of cold water bottles.

Personally, I would not take a convertible especially to Death Valley in June, or in any hot months. I know, the cars look *fashionable* in Palm Springs, in Beverly Hills, Santa Barbara -- what have you -- Carmel. Personally, I think it is foolish to take a convertible across the Death Valley area. I am sure others reading or posting will disagree -- but I am stating my personal idea from having grown up in the southern California desert.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Morning weather in June...

I won't be re-thinking renting the convertible.

We are not on a desert holiday. Our only desert driving will be from Lone Pine to Las Vegas, over the course of one morning and we will take all necessary precautions with the vehicle and with ourselves.

So enough of the scaremongering, thank you.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,020 posts
1,071 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Morning weather in June...

You got it, LDN!

;-)

Not to prolong this discussion, but I am really curious about something, Notafan, have you ever owned a convertible?

Have you ever noticed just how many convertibles there are in hot, hot, HOT places such as Las Vegas, Phoenix, Palm Springs and the like?

Hint..... a LOT!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,020 posts
1,071 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Morning weather in June...

Hmmm, guess I'm not going to get an answer . . .

>> Not to prolong this discussion, but I am really curious about something, Notafan, have you ever owned a convertible? <<

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Morning weather in June...

I'm probably about to spark an even greater response but dare I say he's gone off with his tail between his legs, defeated by the righteous argument? There's silence as well in the other thread we got into it in.

Nevada
Level Contributor
2,013 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Morning weather in June...

In a previous post regarding the convertible, LDN said to *Give it up" or "Let it rest.* (Don't remember which was used -- the exact words are unimportant)

Respectfully, I am honoring that request in the discussion thread. I'm certain LDN will have a fantastic holiday visiting the US! They've asked alot of questions and have done alot of research.

LDN, and to all of our international friends ~~~ Thank you for visiting. We hope you return again and again! There is alot to see and do in this country!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,219 posts
632 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Morning weather in June...

And you will see many folks driving around the desert on 100 degree days with the top down and wearing flip flops. We do not suggest this for our visitors, but we do suggest if you do this to purchase a Jimmy Buffet CD before you come or in your city of embarkation, as it will go perfectly with your flip flops and your top down.

ZB

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Morning weather in June...

There's your answer, half-Brit!

Get answers to your questions about Death Valley National...