We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to the closest easy dune for a pic

maryland
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How to get to the closest easy dune for a pic

where is the best place to photograph a dunes.

thanks

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,125 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to the closest easy dune for a pic

Just off the highway near Stovepipe Wells is a parking area for the dunes.

You can park there and take pictures. In cooler months you can walk in the dunes, but I would not try that in the summer.

Stoke on Trent...
Level Contributor
688 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to the closest easy dune for a pic

Try going early in the morning if you can. The light is better and there are fewer footprints to contend with. Dez40 is right regarding the heat, but you may need to walk a little way in to get a picture, but you won't need to go as far as the big dunes though.

I was close to the road on my way back to the car when I took this picture of others taking a picture. You will see what I mean about the footprints at the edge. You can get some good pictures by walking a short way in from the parking lot at Stovepipe wells. Dedicated photographers will probably want to go further in.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/19403728_jS49QD#!i=1517511163&k=9rv62t9

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,152 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to the closest easy dune for a pic

Yes, the marked parking lot east of SPW is the closest place to approach the dunes. It's only a couple hundred yards from the parking lot into the midst of them.

In the morning, the dunes will be "fresher." The previous afternoon winds will have swept them clean, and people haven't been walking on them all day leaving tracks. When the sun is low, the shadow patterns are more dramatic than in midday.

One pleasure of early morning is finding tracks from critters that come out in the cooler nighttime hours: coyotes, kit foxes, birds, beetles (little tracks that resemble zippers), and an occasional sidewinder rattlesnake. Reptiles cannot regulate their body temperature the way mammals can, by sweating, panting, or radiation, so the sidewinder protects itself by moving in looping motions like a Slinky toy, limiting skin contact with the hot ground and leaving tracks resembling a series of loose S shapes.

Prints are fresher in the morning and are often swept off by the afternoon wind, leaving a clean slate for the tracks from the next night's wanderings.

If you're a normally healthy person, it probably won't kill you to walk out for a short distance even in summer. Just recognize the need for water, a hat, and footwear, and don't spend hours out there. Walking barefooted in the sand feels good, but bring shoes; if the sand heats up, it can burn your hoofs.

Bedford,U.K
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to the closest easy dune for a pic

blueaero - wow, those photos are picture postcards.

Didnt realise just how beautiful D.V is. Cant wait till Oct.

Stoke on Trent...
Level Contributor
688 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to the closest easy dune for a pic

Thank you Axelbobo, I just fell in love with the place on our first trip. I just need to go back to see Dantes View which we missed and I'd love to see the Racetrack too. Enjoy your trip.

6. Re: How to get to the closest easy dune for a pic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 01:41
Get answers to your questions about Death Valley National...