We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Furnace Creek Campgorund

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Furnace Creek Campgorund

My Family and Iare hoping to camp at Furnace Creek Campground on 26 & 17 Septemeber. I have been trying to book on line for months but the parks site said it was closed untill 8th August. I have tried to book on 9th August but still can;t seem to get in. Can someone tell me if it is booke out? and what other options should we take if this is so? Thanks Len

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,004 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Furnace Creek Campgorund

I happened to see your thread on the Anaheim forum first and replied to it there. Here is the same info.

It was closed for renovation and was/is supposed to be available to reserve on August 8. This does not necessarily indicate when it will actually reopen. Whether it will be open by mid-September is something I don't know yet. If it is not, Texas Springs is the next closest campground and it's nice..

Furnace Creek is actually open for reservations only in the peak season, mid-October to mid-April. The rest of the year it is drop-in. September will still be very warm; the average daily high for every day of the month is at least 38, and for the days you want, the average high is 41. So the demand is not very high and you won't have any problem getting a place.

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Furnace Creek Campgorund

Thanks Frisco, Can you tell me is Texas Springs walk in only or can I book in advance?

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,004 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Furnace Creek Campgorund

Texas Springs does not take reservations. The only one in the park that does is FC, and only in the peak season.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,127 posts
606 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Furnace Creek Campgorund

You could consider camping at Panamint Springs Resort. It is a very nice tree shaded private campground in the park on the western end with showers and bathrooms and a restaurant across the street. You can make camping reservations on their site "http://www.panamintsprings.com/reservations/"

ZB

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,004 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Furnace Creek Campgorund

Yes, Panamint Springs is very nice, in a beautiful, tranquil setting, and the food is good at the restaurant.

The main disadvantage for this family is that they are staying a couple of nights and want to be near the central part of the park where some of the major sights are. Panamint Springs is 90 km from Furnace Creek, which means a long ride each day to go to these places. If they are able to see all they want on the east side the first day and the second morning, then Panamint Springs would be a nice spot on the second night (if they want to pack up and move).

Also, Panamint Springs does not have a pool, which many people appreciate in summer. Folks staying in the camps near either Furnace Creek or Stovepipe Wells can go to the resorts and buy guest passes for the pools.

Camp Sherman, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Furnace Creek Campgorund

Len,

FC is now accepting reservations for it's normal reservation time frame of 10/15-4/15. This means that you can now drop in and pick a site during this non-reservation period. You might want to call them to make sure they are open. 760-786-3200. As you go through the menu options just press "0" and that should get you to someone. Ranger Jay was very helpful the other day. It sounded from my call that they are now open but call them.

The new web site info showing different numbers and sites is not really complete yet. If they are open then most likely Texas Springs is back to it's normal schedule of being closed until 10/15. I would think FC will be open by your time.

If FC is still not open then try at Texas Spring to camp, if you are tenting, in the lower loop, much nicer than the upper. Also if you are tenting, at FC the walk in or drive in tent only sites would be better.

The other option is the ten tent sites right off 190 just west of Stovepipe wells, some road noise but for a couple days would be fine. Otherwise, somewhat closer than Panamint Springs is Mesquite Campground to the north. Big, private sites, cooler than the central areas but again away from most places. Also I think the views are better from FC and TS than Mesquite, distance wise.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,004 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Furnace Creek Campgorund

Mesquite Springs is negligibly closer to Furnace Creek than Panamint Springs, about 5 miles. Both of them are 50+ miles away. It is very quiet at night; when the Castle is closed, traffic is extremely light on the North Highway (a.k.a. Castle Road). For all practical purposes, it doesn't really "go anywhere.” Most people entering or leaving the park don’t use that road. And the campground is not even on the main road, but a mile down a side road. As Jes said, it is cooler than the FC area (close to 2,000’ elevation) and it has lots of vegetation. It’s a pretty area.

The tent area at Stovepipe Wells is not next to the highway. It is set back at the edge of the Sand Dunes, 150-200 yards from the road and away from the RV camp. You park on the paved area and walk back and set up among the mesquite and creosote bushes on the sand. The individual sites are fairly flexible and you aren’t right on top of your neighbors. You just need to observe the marked boundary beyond which no camping is allowed. Two reasons for this: to limit human impact on the dunes and vegetation, and to keep people away from the septic pond for SPW. One caveat: the wind picks up in the afternoon and you can expect dust to get into everything. You need to stake and tie everything securely because the winds can get strong enough to uproot tents.

Aalborg, Denmark
Level Contributor
76 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Furnace Creek Campgorund

Furnace Creek Ranch as a limited number of basic RV parking sites with utilities are available, one can reserve by calling them at (760) 786-2345.

Maybe you can call them, and see if there is a space vacant on the dates.

furnacecreekresort.com/furnace-creek-ranch-1…

Aalborg, Denmark
Level Contributor
76 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Furnace Creek Campgorund

Sorry that first sentence I wrote didn't make much sense :-)

It should have read:

Furnace Creek Ranch has a limited number of basic RV parking sites with utilities available, which can be reserved by calling them at (760) 786-2345.

Camp Sherman, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Furnace Creek Campgorund

Len

The ten camp sites just off the road ten miles west of SPW I was referring to is Emigrant CG. FC still might not be open until 10/15 same as SPW CG.

Get answers to your questions about Death Valley National...