We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will a New Superintendent Make a Difference?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,138 posts
610 reviews
Save Topic
Will a New Superintendent Make a Difference?

Southeast Regional Director David Vela has announced the selection of Sarah Craighead to be the next superintendent at Mammoth Cave National Park. Craighead currently serves as the superintendent of Death Valley National Park. She will assume her new duties at Mammoth Cave on November 4th.

Who comes next?

ZB

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,161 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will a New Superintendent Make a Difference?

I think we'd just be speculating at this point about night change when a new superintendent arrives. They all have certain general NPS policies to follow, but each one leaves an individual imprint on a park if they stay for a few years. Sarah Craighead is a 30-year NPS employee and has been in Death Valley for 3 years and her husband is also a Park Service "lifer."

The place may be Hell on Earth in much of the public imagination, but some folks obviously become very enamored of it. Her predecessor, J.T. Reynolds, retired after 8 years in Death Valley. I think his predecessor, Richard Martin, was there about that long. Ed Rothfuss, who was superintendent when I started going to Death Valley, oversaw its transition from national monument to national park and was there 12 years.

To some people, leaving one of the “great Western parks” for a smaller Eastern park might seem like a step down, but she is going home. She is from Kentucky and began her career as a seasonal ranger at Mammoth Cave. Again, this is nothing but surmising, but she might be thinking ahead to retiring closer to home. She graduated from a school in Lexington called (I lie not) Transylvania University. Who could have guessed that an alum of Transylvania University would end up managing the Funeral Mountains, Devil’s Golf Course, Badwater, Hell’s Gate, and Dante’s View?

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,161 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will a New Superintendent Make a Difference?

** rolls eyes **

** ..."about night change" **

That should read "about what might change"

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,590 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will a New Superintendent Make a Difference?

Don't bats live in Mammoth Caves?

Transylvania University. Bats.

Has anyone seen this woman during the daytime?

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,161 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will a New Superintendent Make a Difference?

Death Valley has lots of bats too. They make their homes in abandoned mines, and we protect them by closing off access to some mines that are otherwise safe during nesting and birthing seasons..

Yes, she comes out in the daytime. I guess everyone is more adaptable than we sometimes think!

5. Re: Will a New Superintendent Make a Difference?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2013, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about Death Valley National...