We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotels

Level Contributor
64 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
hotels

we are doing a self drive tour of california and want to spend a night in death valley can anyone recommend a nice hotel?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,138 posts
610 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotels

Nicest is the Furnace Creek Inn if you are going to be there when it is open. It closes for the heat of the summer. After that it is an opinion question. Frissy loves Stovepipe Wells. Some people prefer the Furnace Creek Ranch. Both are kind of typical motel properties with pool and Frissy will tell you SPW has more charm and feel, which I agree with. I love Panamint Springs Resort but it is surely not a typical resort and it is located on the western fringe of the park and family run and not corporate and has no pool. But it is basic and I call it kind of Parrot Head meets Desert Wilderness with Beer and Burgers and Deck out of Top Gun and you can see forever.

ZB

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,159 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotels

I’ve stayed at all of them, as well as a few places nearby but outside the park, and my one absolute for first-time visitors is to stay within the park. You have three resort complexes (four actual resorts: Furnace Creek Inn, Furnace Creek Ranch, Stovepipe Wells Village, and Panamint Springs) to choose from and they all have their pluses.

Staying outside (in Shoshone, Beatty, Pahrump, etc.) means you will be commuting for your holiday and not having an authentic Death Valley experience. The one possible exception is Death Valley Junction, which has the Amargosa Hotel and Opera House complex and a café, and no other services of any kind. It’s a historic site and a ghost town (former borax mining settlement). I would suggest it with strong caveats: the facilities are very basic and the hotel has been a work in progress since the 1960s. But it's quaint, truly rusticand tranquil, out in the middle of nowhere, and you'll have perfect night skies. This is about 30 miles (a bit under 50 km) from Furnace Creek.

As Zabby said, I favor SPW. It’s fairly central in the park, smaller and quieter than Furnace Creek with a more rustic setting. You could almost walk to the Sand Dunes, and many times I’ve just walked along the road near the resort and enjoyed a gorgeous sunset. It and Panamint Springs feel like really being in Death Valley. Panamint Springs is at the far west edge of the park, so it’s less handy for visiting many of the great natural marvels that most visitors want to see.

Before giving specific suggestions, I’d want more info from you, such as what season you are coming and where Death Valley is on your itinerary. Are you coming from Las Vegas, returning there, going on to Yosemite; coming from Yosemite, the California coast, the Disneyland area, or? Knowing this helps us help you make the most of your time and mileage, and suggest itineraries for the park itself (it’s huge, as big as Connecticut, or Lebanon and Luxembourg combined).

Also, who is coming? Adults, any young kids, how many? I won’t ask what fascinates you, because everything in Death Valley is intriguing; we have geology, plants, animals, unique weather (you now know that we are officially the world temperature champion), history and pre-history, killer views everywhere, dark skies for stargazing, park programs for visitors from October to April—and of course the resorts where you can enjoy a nice atmosphere, good food (they all have beverage service too), and relaxing downtime. So tell us a bit about yourselves and we’ll help you choose.

Level Contributor
64 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotels

we will be coming from Yosemite and we will be 4 adults we are looking at coming in Late Sept 2013 and we will stop over for 1 hight before going on to vegas

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotels

i enjoyed the furnace creek ranch. very nice pool. good location. expensive for what you get but everything is in death valley. do the tour at scotty's castle. very interesting.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,159 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotels

Going from Yosemite Valley to Death Valley will be a trip of almost 300 miles--just so you realize this. It is a long day's drive with many unique and intriguing things to see.

Along the way are Mono Lake, near the town of Lee Vining on the east end of the Tioga road; Mammoth Lakes and Devil's Postpile; Bishop and the Laws Museum; Lone Pine and Mt. Whitney Portal, Alabama Hills, and the movie museum. These are the major sights; there are many lesser ones, as well as places where you'll just be inspired to stop and look. Without a stopover between Yosemite and Death Valley, you'll have to be selective about what you take time to see and do.

Panamint Springs is at the west edge of Death Valley, so it's closer to Yosemite. If you stay there, you will either have to do some sightseeing in DV and backtrack to Panamint Springs for the night, or stop there and do all your DV sightseeing the next day enroute to Las Vegas. That will make your DV day a long day. I like this resort, but for your itinerary, I think it is the least ideal.

Stovepipe Wells is a half hour farther along, and it's close to Mosaic Canyon , the Sand Dunes, and Devil's Cornfield. Depending on time and daylight, you might be able to see one or more of those on the day of your arrival. A visit to the Sand Dunes for sunrise is also a magical experience.

Furnace Creek is the farthest from Yosemite. It's the most centrally located, closest to the most renowned natural wonders (Devil's Golf Course, Badwater, Artist's Drive, Golden Canyon, Zabriskie Point, Dante's View). It has the most services and amenities. It's he biggest and busiest of the DV resorts. If you want something more rustic, Stovepipe Wells adds only about half an hour (not including sightseeing). Also, Furnace Creek is only a little over 2 hours from Las Vegas, so you would not have a huge time disadvantage if you stayed at Stovepipe.

If your itinerary is not carved in stone and you can add an overnight stop between the two parks (perhaps at Bishop or even Lone Pine), this would make the trip far more leisurely, and give you more time to enjoy things along the way. If you cannot do this, be prepared to start early from Yosemite to take advantage of the daylight hours, and be sure to make reservations for all your lodging.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotels

We love our room at the Furnace Creek Inn and we sty there every time, except one, when we visit this national park. Furnace Creek Inn is closed in September

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,535 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotels

Here is the Traveler Article with some info about the drive: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c182361 Spending a night in Death Valley NP is a fabulous idea, but that will make for a longer drive from Yosemite NP.

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,172 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotels

If you want to save some money there are some older and smaller rooms at Stovepipe Wells called "patio rooms". They are perfectly fine for two people but cannot accommodate a second bed, even a roll-away. There is no television in the room, either, although there is a lounge next to the office with a large TV and a computer with internet access for customers. The bathrooms are remodeled and have newer carpet and excellent newer furnishings.

9. Re: hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2013, 10:18
Get answers to your questions about Death Valley National...