We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

death valley trip

sheffield england
Level Contributor
858 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
death valley trip

we are going to be in st george utah in october, and have two and a half days (2 overnights), to get to san francisco. i have posted this elsewhere and was advised to post on the death valley forum. we are hoping to do this trip via death valley and yosemite (just driving through yosemite sadly without a stop in the valley). the place we want to spend time rather than just driving through is death valley as we have not been there before - only a drive through. the problem i am having is where to stay. ideally it would be nice to be based in the national park, but it is simply out of our budget. we are not averse to long days of driving, we have 3 drivers, all of whom love to drive especially on the us west's open and empty roads. we come from the uk so this is such a novelty for us. our preferences for accommodation are two bedroom suites with a little kitchen, or one bedroom and living area with sofa bed. at a push though we are not averse to sharing a two double bed room (we are a party of 4 adults). for this stop we can budget around £100. we had thought of staying the night in las vegas but this involves rather too much coming and going. apart from the national park accommodation there appears to be a distinct lack of availability at this time of year - even if we could afford it. any suggestions anyone.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
70,030 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: death valley trip

Hi

It looks like £100 is about $150. A standard room at Stovepipe Wells is $150 + tax and has two double beds. The location can't be beat! Basic map: americansouthwest.net/california/death_valle…

If you prefer to drive through DVNP and stay on the other side, try Panamint Springs "Resort". It has inexpensive rooms that fit your budget.

Another option that even further from the National Park is Lone Pine. The options for Lone Pine are included in this Traveler Article: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c182361 The problem with staying further away is that you won't get much time IN Death Valley NP and since you want to spend time in the NP, both Panamint Springs & Lone Pine are not very good choices.

sheffield england
Level Contributor
858 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: death valley trip

the map of death valley was very useful in getting our bearings as to nearest possible overnight places, combined with the sights we want to see. beatty looks a possibility, and at least does have a choice of about 7 or 8 places to stay. they all look very similar and fairly similar prices too. question is - would it be wise to book ahead, or just pitch up at lunch time, which is when we shall probably arrive from st george. i am getting the impression that this is a busy time of year and possibly if things get booked, the prices will rise. on the other hand, maybe the opposite will happen. i think i need advice from people who have done this trip at this time of year to see which is the best way to play this. we have done this before, but in an rv and have always managed to find somewhere to park it, even if it was basic and no hookups. needing beds may be a different game altogether.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
659 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: death valley trip

October can indeed be busy. However, Beatty one can normally get a room. It will be basic and cheap but Beatty is not where I would suggest you stay. Pananmint Springs has ONE two bedroom accomodation, kind of a cabin, at the end of the motel. I highly recommend you stay at PSR. It is in a gorgeous setting, and having breakfast on the porch is not to be missed. It is really a desert experience, and if you drink beer, it has an unbelievable selection in the middle of nowhere. Plus, friendly people in a family owned facility is hard to find these days.

ZB

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
16,593 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: death valley trip

Beatty is a decent town and several motels and other visitor services, but if you go there from St George for your overnight stay, you will bypass a couple of the most wondrous natural marvels in Death Valley: Dante's View and Zabriskie Point. These are most readily accessed from Pahrump NV (Hwy 160 from the south side of Las Vegas) and Death Valley Junction.

You will also be far out of convenient range to see the sights along Badwater Road, including Devil's Golf Course, Badwater, Artist's Drive, and Golden Canyon. These are among most people's list of top places to see in DV.

If you stay at Beatty, you can still go to those places but it will be a long detour.

sheffield england
Level Contributor
858 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: death valley trip

would panamint springs enable us to see all the best sights in death valley? will take a look at it anyway. although the rest of our trip is fairly tightly planned, we do have a few days flexibility in this area.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
16,593 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: death valley trip

Panamint Springs is on the far west edge of the park, so it makes a good base for seeing sights from about the Sand Dunes westward, including Mosaic Canyon, the Stovepipe Wells area, and anything along the Emigrant-Wildrose Road. It is less centralized for seeing the eastern and southern areas, including Hwy 190 east (Dante’s View, 20 Mule Team Canyon, Zabriskie Point) and Badwater Road (sights mentioned in my earlier post), and around Furnace Creek (park visitor center, Furnace Creek resorts, Harmony Borax Works, Salt Creek).

If you choose Panamint Springs, and if you have only one night to spend in Death Valley, focus on those eastern places first, before going to the resort for the night. Depending on when you leave St. George and how long the trip takes (it appears you are not spending time in Las Vegas?), you might get to the Sand Dunes in time for sunset, which is gorgeous there.

OTOH, if you have two nights to spend in Death Valley, you could stay at Death Valley Junction or at Furnace Creek if you find something in your price range, giving yourself a break and a little more time to see those areas before continuing west. DVJ is a hamlet with one business, the hotel-opera house complex with a café; it is a ghost town that was a borax mining settlement in the 1920s. If you like historic ambience and peace and quiet, and are OK with a hotel that has been a restoration in progress for half a century, you might enjoy DVJ.

Approximate distances are:

- St. George to Pahrump, 185 miles.

- Pahrump to Death Valley Junction 30 miles.

- Death Valley Junction DV to park entrance 15 or 16 miles; side trip to Dante’s View 13 miles on a paved road.

- Dante’s View to Furnace Creek 25 miles (Zabriskie Point and 20 Mule Team Canyon are on the way).

- Furnace Creek to Stovepipe Wells 25 miles.

- SPW to Panamint Springs about 33 miles.

Early in October, sunset will be close to 6:20 p.m.; at the end it will be closer to 5:40.

BTW, the Amargosa Hotel at DVJ and the Panamint Springs resort do not have pools. This may be significant if you are looking forward to a cool dip. October is still very much summer in Death Valley, with 42-43º temperatures still possible into the middle of the month.

sheffield england
Level Contributor
858 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: death valley trip

Thanks for the very useful information. We are spending time in Vegas but that is before we get to Death Valley. It is just the way our circuit takes us. We have worked out that we will get to Death Valley about lunch time so could look at the eastern side before moving on to pans mint springs. Then we have time next morning to look at the sights on the western side before leaving to our next stop. The plan s to stay in lee vining or around that area if tioga pass is open, and drive through Yosemite next day. Sadly time does not allow us to spend time in the valley. We have been before and our travelling companions accept that we cannot see everything so have to prioritise. If toga pass is closed we will proceed to San Francisco the best way we can and stop when we have had enough. Having said that the two main drivers have been used to very long drives in Europe where the driving is infinitely more stressful than in the American west

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
70,030 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: death valley trip

>>If Tioga Pass is closed we will proceed to San Francisco the best way we can<<

With your schedule, I'd recommend Sonora Pass or Carson Pass if Tioga Pass is closed. You can still stay in Lee Vining.

Crossing the Sierra: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-c158581

-------------

That basic map of DVNP really helped me to plan my visit. Then I used the detailed NPS map for my final plans: nps.gov/deva/…DEVAmap1a.pdf

The "Shortest Route" is the one you should use to enter DVNP: nps.gov/deva/…20Vegas.pdf

sheffield england
Level Contributor
858 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: death valley trip

many thanks for maps and other suggestions. will now study these at leisure. in the end, have booked at panamint springs resort. it can be cancelled should we radically change our minds (unlikely)

10. Re: death valley trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2014, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Death Valley National...