We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

It's rattlesnake season!

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,404 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
It's rattlesnake season!

We’ve had a couple of threads about rattlesnakes, which were closed after 6 months of inactivity. But there are many useful comments that should be kept accessible, so here are the links for those conversations. One of these threads had been on the Top Questions corner, and I will replace it with this one to keep everything in one place.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143021-i2027-k339…

tripadvisor.com/…23856843

And here is a recent article about warmer weather bringing out rattlesnakes. It comes from Salt Lake City, where it is just now warming up (April).

deseretnews.com/article/865578963/Warmer-wea…

Death Valley has been having rattlesnake weather for weeks. However, five miles from downtown SLC is where I came the closest to being bitten in my life, literally almost stepping on a rattlesnake that was sunning itself by a trail in the hills above Red Butte Gardens. It was a Great Basin rattler, and it told me it was not happy at being disturbed. Most snakes just want to be left in peace, and this one retreated into the bushes without biting me.

LA
Level Contributor
9,661 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: It's rattlesnake season!

Oh joy.

It's warming very early in the south-west US and it is clearly rattlesnake season.

The litttle ones are just as nasty as the big guys and much more difficult to see.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,404 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: It's rattlesnake season!

The young rattlers are more dangerous than the adults, because when they strike, they don't have fine-tuned control over the venom that they expel. So they can end up giving a person a far bigger dose than Mommy or Daddy would.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,263 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: It's rattlesnake season!

I've also heard that the younger ones are more likely to bite. And they are sooo small and hard to spot....

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: It's rattlesnake season!

A couple of years ago I was hiking a narrow trail in Garin Park, Hayward when a "baby" rattler coiled in front of me. With no room to go around on the steep path I, a firm believer in live & let live, gently lifted the rattler off the trail with my walking stick the snake hissing all the way.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,966 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: It's rattlesnake season!

Already?? (Or should I say, Still??)

We were at Grand Canyon at Watchtower when a couple of us noticed a rattlesnake at the same time. It was coiled up in the shade of a bench right outside the giftshop door and I was thinking about sitting next to this man, who was on the bench, when I saw it (and two or three other people also saw it). The man's legs were dangling just inches from it. His wife started over to him and someone said to her - there's a snake! And she advised him to get up from that bench! Immediately, several kids (whose parents weren't paying attention to the snake drama) went and climbed on the bench!

DH and I decided best idea was to find a ranger while another man warned the kids off the bench and then made sure no one else sat near the snake.

An hour later, after trying several tactics for snake dispersement (mainly making people leave that little area and hoping the snake would go away - it went from being coiled to attempting to leave a couple of times, finally retreating into landscaping that had asphalt on all sides - they brought a snakehandler with one of those coiled thingies. By then we were back from our little hike so we got to watch the guy round up the rattlesnack (who was by then not happy) and they said they'd take him a few miles away and let him go.

So if you do see one, don't try to pet it.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
616 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: It's rattlesnake season!

Petting rattlesnakes in Death Valley National Park is not prohibited by any specific ordinance, but is included under the section of code that deals with not interfering with the normal behavior of park animals. Speicifically though I wonder myself which area of the rattlesnake you were thinking about petting?

ZB

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
616 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: It's rattlesnake season!

By the way, if you are petrified of rattlesnakes, let alone petting them, I personally encourage you to head on over to Duesseldorf. We don't have any.

ZB

Edited: 27 April 2013, 15:43
8. Re: It's rattlesnake season!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2014, 05:16