We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite to Las Vegas

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Yosemite to Las Vegas

Hi, We are a family of 5 travelling from San Francisco, staying in Yosemite for 2 nights and then driving to Las Vegas for 2 nights and then driving to Disneyland. Can you tell me a rough travel time and is it worth going through Death Valley. We want to see as much as possible (but we have 3 kids in the back) so which is the best route/stops to make.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,354 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yosemite to Las Vegas

That's a lot of driving in a short time. I would suggest dropping Las Vegas entirely and taking the kids directly to Disneyland after Yosemite. Or take the coast route through Monterey and Big Sur. What month will this be?

Edited: 09 August 2013, 04:38
Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Yosemite to Las Vegas

September this year.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
59,331 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yosemite to Las Vegas

The drive from Yosemite valley to Las Vegas is a very full 2 day drive. las Vega is an adult playground and will be jot, though not as hot as Death Valley.

Go up one level to the California state forum page and read the Top Questions in the upper right on the full TA website. Maybe you'll want to enjoy some of the Eastern Sierra along with a peak into Death Valley.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yosemite to Las Vegas

Death Valley still will be hot but don't let that stop you. Make it a 2 days trip and stay Lone Pine between Yosemite and Las Vegas. Drive through DV with some stops the 2nd day.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
402 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yosemite to Las Vegas

Agree with Tet. If your lucky you will drive through snow covered mountains and into desert heat in a day. Our kids were amazed. Many of our USA friends deride LV as a destination for children. We have driven through LV twice now. On both occasions , the children loved it. DL and LV have much in common, both appeal to our senses and emotions. With parental guidance the children will enjoy both fantasy lands.

Edited: 09 August 2013, 12:40
LA
Level Contributor
10,038 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Yosemite to Las Vegas

There is no snow in the Sierras and won't be in September. September is generally a warm dry month. Death Valley and Las Vegas will still be hot.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yosemite to Las Vegas

We have found LV touts respectful to children when we visited my brother. I would get flyers for clubs pushed to my hand, but when walking with kids, they leave us all alone.

What i found ocerwheing was the billboards. No way to have kids stop gawking. Just a teachable moment.

Edited: 09 August 2013, 15:11
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,730 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yosemite to Las Vegas

Being from Australia, you might not be as bothered by the heat as folks from colder climates. If your kids like amazing natural scenery with beautiful colors and shapes, hiking, and looking for animals and birds, you’ll find lots to interest them in Death Valley. There are canyons where they can do some rock scrambling, or go higher and practice some minor climbing skills. The Mesquite Sand Dunes are a fine place to see wildlife tracks in the morning. If you stay overnight, you’ll enjoy wonderful stargazing. The major park resorts, Stovepipe Wells Village and Furnace Creek, have fine pools where you can cool off after a day of exploring and discovering.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
402 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yosemite to Las Vegas

PareoB, during Sept 2010 when we were in LA it was hot - 115F in Hollywood. One week later, stlll hot, we arrived via Tioga Rd at the entrance to Yosemite NP in snow. So yes it does snow in the Sierras during Sept!

LA
Level Contributor
10,038 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Yosemite to Las Vegas

Not this year.

Get answers to your questions about Death Valley National...