We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not Another LV to Yosemite Question ... yep.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,276 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Not Another LV to Yosemite Question ... yep.

Hi, I am doing some very forward planning ... I have been looking at driving this route with a possible one overnighter.

My big question is ... if we decided to drive straight through with just a couple of quick stops how long would it take? And which route would be the quickest but also scenic?

I just ask because there are many posts stating Google times are way off the mark so don't want to find ourselves 6 hours late.

Any advice much appreciated.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,242 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not Another LV to Yosemite Question ... yep.

What time of the year?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,276 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not Another LV to Yosemite Question ... yep.

Not definite... Probably late Sept or October

Does that affect travel times?

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Not Another LV to Yosemite Question ... yep.

Sure it does. The fastest route is closed between about November and June.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not Another LV to Yosemite Question ... yep.

In September Tioga Pass (Hwy 120) will likely be open (almost certainly)... In October it may be closed... in late October it is likely to be closed.

If it was me (I like natural spaces and National parks) if the pass was open, I would drive west from LV, across Death Valley to the Owens Valley, then north on 395, heading west again at Lee Vining.

If the pass (Tioga Pass) is closed your options are south through Walker or Tehachapi passes (similar times) then north up Hwy 99, or north to Hwy 88, across to Jackson then south. Headed south you may want to use I-15 leaving I-15 about Barstow towards Mojave, over 158 to Bakersfield, then Hwy 99 north until you dodge east to Yosemite.

All are beautiful drives. None are fast... I did Tioga last Wed,, Carson (hwy 88) yesterday, and Walker last May (before Tioga was open) Each is a different trip… Death Valley and Yosemite (including Tioga Pass) being in National Parks have fees… $20 each for Death Valley and Yosemite. If you are visiting other parks consider a National Parks pass for $80. I buy one annually but generally cross Tioga 3 times a year, plus other parks…

There are lots of options, details about your interests will help us guide you.

Randy

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,276 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Not Another LV to Yosemite Question ... yep.

We are a middle aged couple .. no kids, just us. We are traveling from New York to Vegas and LA, and some friends from San Jose suggested meeting them at Yosemite for a few days , so the drive pops into my mind as something interesting to do.

We are not really in to camping or hiking but just thought "why not" how often will we be near DV? So it was a way to get to Yosemite but we would like to see what we can while basically passing through. So I guess it's just the scenery that we are interested in.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Not Another LV to Yosemite Question ... yep.

Here is yet another answer to the LV to Yosemite question ;-) Yep- a long answer that several regular forum members collaborated in:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c182361/Califo…

Hope this helps.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Not Another LV to Yosemite Question ... yep.

Suggest to stay overnight between LV and Yosemite and enjoy all scenery. There's a lot to see in Death Valley and it will already take most of the day. Suggest Lone Pine or Bishop for your overnight stay.

New York
Level Contributor
857 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Not Another LV to Yosemite Question ... yep.

120 to 395 is a solid fun route. Just did it but other way. LV to east end of DV is a good 2 hrs. Drive through with no major stops but a quick photo or two to Paramint Springs should take 1.5 or so hours. From the west end to Lee Vining which is east edge of Yosemite is a good 3. Gas up in pahrump nv...mid to low 3.00. Should easily get you through DV and then gas up before Lee Vining. 395 is very nice

New York
Level Contributor
857 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Not Another LV to Yosemite Question ... yep.

120 to 395 is a solid fun route. Just did it but other way. LV to east end of DV is a good 2 hrs. Drive through with no major stops but a quick photo or two to Paramint Springs should take 1.5 or so hours. From the west end to Lee Vining which is east edge of Yosemite is a good 3. Gas up in pahrump nv...mid to low 3.00. Should easily get you through DV and then gas up before Lee Vining (Bishop shouod be cheapest). 395 is very nice

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,957 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Not Another LV to Yosemite Question ... yep.

This is the reason people keep saying the google times are off - when you don't know when you are going, that is a major factor right there. There are dozens of threads on this question. Which route you take through DV matters, too. Anyway, you've got your threads to read. Another factor is time of day when you leave Vegas and whether it's a weekend (Vegas traffic can be heavy - but...not so much in the early morning, as most people in Vegas sleep in - although on Sundays and Mondays, it can be a zoo getting out of Vegas).

Get answers to your questions about Death Valley National...