We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Topic
Road Trip

Is it safe to drive through Death Valley in August as really want to see it but abit worried

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,488 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip

Yes, if you are well-prepared to deal with the heat. It can reach 120 F (48 C) in the afternoons in August. As long as you are prepared and know what to do, you can do it. Whether you would enjoy it or not is another matter. I know that I would not enjoy it, so I won't go there in the summer. Here is an older thread that has some useful information on this subject: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143021-i2027-k302…

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip

What do you mean by being prepared and what to do?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,913 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip

be prepared = food, lots & lots of water, charged cell phone, map

what to do = planned itinerary that does not include remote travel

----------

Apparently Death Valley is full of foreign visitors in the summer and full of Americans in the winter. I'm not sure why or how, but lots of UK visitors actually enjoy DVNP in the heat.

And the Destination Expert for Death Valley NP spends a few weeks in Death Valley each summer. I don't know how she does it.

Lots of water, a good shade hat, a desire to enjoy the beauty.... and you could have a great trip!

Edited: 08 September 2013, 14:40
San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,488 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip

Even if you didn't get out of the car you would still need to stay hydrated because the air is extremely dry there. One liter of water per hour was recommended in the thread linked above. If I did go there in the summer, I would bring an umbrella for shade while out of the car. I would try to get up at dawn and see the sights you want to see early in the morning, before the hottest part of the day. You would need to have your route and stops planned so that you don't waste any time or fuel, and stick to that route. The destination experts can help you with that plan and additional tips for coping with the heat.

Edited: 08 September 2013, 15:40
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,078 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip

See the top righthand corner where one of the Top Q's is about summer travel in Death Valley. Yes, it will be a little more challenging and require more of you to do than summer in San Francisco or even Los Angeles, but you can have a good time not just driving through, but stopping to see different places in the park. There is a surprising amount of the park and its landscapes and natural wonders or historic sites that you can see with short to moderate walking.

The majority of summer visitors are from outside North America. It is almost a novelty to hear English with an American accent spoken in the park from June through August. But we do have English, Scottish, occasional Irish, and quite a few Australian visitors. We have folks from northern climates who are fascinated by the contrasts of climate, vegetation, and scenery from their homes in England, Germany, the Netherlands, and increasingly, Russia and Korea. For some, a big highlight is a sighting of desert wildlife that they've seen only on TV, movies, or maybe cartoons (like the Coyote and Roadrunner). Many of our international visitors are adventurous and they do get out and hike, and it's safe if you are prepared and understand the potential risks.

We don't want to trivialize the health of safety issues, because they are real. People die in Death Valley, but it is usually from inadequate preparation or not taking care of themselves. By coming here to talk to us, you're getting a handle on those issues. Guess what: in summer, when Death Valley is at its hottest and driest, climbers in the Rocky Mountains or in Alaska have frozen to death. And more people die from heat-related illnesses in American cities like New York or Chicago than in Death Valley. And the main cause of death in Death Valley is not weather, but traffic accidents, specifically single-car crashes. Traffic is almost always light, and primary roads are paved. It's easy to become captivated by the beautiful scenery and lulled by the generally good driving conditions, and some people enjoy the park too much focus too much on sightseeing and drive off the road. Still, of the 1,000,000 or so annual visitors to the park, we only lose 3, 4, maybe half a dozen in a year.

Death Valley is absolutely unique and it has a huge (and to many newcomers, unexpected) variety of landscapes, vegetation, and wildlife. So do come and enjoy it!

6. Re: Road Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Death Valley National...