We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For October 4th--Death Valley National Park Open Or Closed?

Shelby Township...
Destination Expert
for Paradise
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
For October 4th--Death Valley National Park Open Or Closed?

We have plans to tour DVNP tomorrow, Thursday, October 4th. has the government shutdown affected the park? I can't find any information in the media one way or another about it.

thanks!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: For October 4th--Death Valley National Park Open Or Closed?

It is currently closed, and more than likely will remain closed for a while due to the "politics" involved.

www.sierrawave.net/26670/hurts-local-workers/

>>Death Valley National Park is mostly closed under the shutdown. Abby Wines, Acting Public Information Officer at Death Valley Park said that Highway 190 through the Park would remain open as would Furnace Creek Inn and Ranch and Panamint Springs Resort.<<

So the privately owned property inside the park is open, and they will allow cars to drive down Highway 190, but with a rule of no stopping or parking when inside the National Park.

Shelby Township...
Destination Expert
for Paradise
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For October 4th--Death Valley National Park Open Or Closed?

Thanks--i guess DVNPwill have to wait until next year. :(

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
501 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: For October 4th--Death Valley National Park Open Or Closed?

Is a drive down Route 190 worthwhile? We're headed out west next week and thinking of some contingency plans in case the parks stay closed. Thanks.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,708 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: For October 4th--Death Valley National Park Open Or Closed?

Apologies to dgw and Penzgirl for this situation. We'll try to help you salvage what you can and enjoy some of Death Valley.

Penzgirl, where are you starting from and where do you plan to end up? What I'm saying here is for eastbound travelers; just reverse everything if you're starting in Las Vegas,

Hwy 190 is the main road through the park from Lone Pine to Death Valley Junction, and it would be part of the main route between Lone Pine (or other places on the west) to Las Vegas. Sights right on 190 include the Sand Dunes and Devil's Cornfield, which you can see from the road and maybe do some drive-by shooting. You could also take a quick picture of Stovepipe Wells VIllage if you wanted to. You wouldn't be allowed to stop for sightseeing or turn off the state highway, but what ranger could give you a citation if you pulled over because you had to sneeze?.

Farther along, Harmony Borax Works is also close to the road. So are Furnace Creek Ranch and Inn, which are private property not owned by the NPS. As far as we can tell, it is open, because the Park Service has no regulatory authority there. You might even be able to get something to eat, or buy a Death Valley shirt or hat to prove you were there (keep the receipt, because it will prove you were there "while Rome burned.") You won't be able to go down Badwater Road, which is a park road, and will have to stay on 190 east past the FC Inn. That is also private property.

Unfortunately, while "Rome burns," you will be unable to access Zabriskie Point, 20 Mule Team Canyon, and Dante's View, three of the park's most unique natural spots. But the landscapes themselves are spectacular and I hope you enjoy the small glimpse of Death Valley's beauty that you will be able to see.

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
501 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: For October 4th--Death Valley National Park Open Or Closed?

Thank you SO much. We are in Vegas for two days as part of a western trip and had hoped to spend one of those days in Zion National Park. So we are pondering other options.

Steams me that there will be rangers available to pull us over but none to run the parks! (the whole thing steams me, though I am trying to get past it and stay positive and hopeful.)

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,708 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: For October 4th--Death Valley National Park Open Or Closed?

I seriously doubt there will be rangers specifically patrolling roads to cite people for slowing down to take pictures. There are skeleton crews for bare-bones needs like life-threatening situations, building or wildland fire protection, crime prevention, and such. In parks as big as Death Valley or Yosemite, they'll need to focus on those. It is amazing how much bad stuff can happen even if a park is supposedly closed. Crooks and meth cookers and pot farmers and such love times when there are fewer eyes around, and rangers know that. The hugely destructuve wildfire that ate part of Yosemite was started by one person's dumb mistake with a campfire he wasn't supposed to have, and that was while rangers were on duty. But they can't be everywhere, and now there are far fewer.

I think that in the larger parks, if drivers get stopped, it'll be by rangers out and about who just happen to see them while in the course of those other higher-priority tasks.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: For October 4th--Death Valley National Park Open Or Closed?

I have been told that the CHP and local law enforcement will enforce the State Highway rules, which states no stopping/parking on the side of the freeway. (Policy is that you have to pull over onto federal land and have the proper permit (paid park fee). So the State Highway is open, but anything off the driving lanes is closed and not available to drivers and their passengers.

LA
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: For October 4th--Death Valley National Park Open Or Closed?

Xanterra says that Furnace Creek Inn & Ranch, the golf course and all the related services are open (they manage them), but the rest of the park is closed. I have reservations at the Inn for Oct. 20-25th and planned on hiking Telescope Peak this year, but may cancel if the budget mess isn't cleared up by early next week.

Edited: 03 October 2013, 19:35
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: For October 4th--Death Valley National Park Open Or Closed?

I'd phone Furnace Creek for specifics on just what roads are closed. State Route 190, which traverses the park, is open. We went to DV during the shutdown of 1995. Stayed at Furnace Creek (Stovepipe Wells was closed; don't know about now). Drove to several places in the park, including the main sand dunes, and Zabriskie Point. The only road where we encountered a gate was the Park Service road from the state highway to Dante's View. We exited the park to the east. I don't know if any park entrances are closed. Furnace Creek folks must be getting many questions as to what is open.

Edited: 03 October 2013, 20:00
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: For October 4th--Death Valley National Park Open Or Closed?

p.s. while I have heard that there is a no-stopping rule for Highway 120 traversing Yosemite, I have not heard this regarding Highway 190 in DV. Furnace Creek is right next to Hwy. 190. Call them.

Get answers to your questions about Death Valley National...