We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Death Valley Joshua Trees

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Death Valley Joshua Trees

Hi, does anyone know where I can see Joshua Trees in Death Valley National Park?

I understand that there is a decent stand at Lee Flat in the Panamint Springs region of the park. However, that is on the other side of the park. I will only be there for a day and will be visiting the Furnace Creek (Badwater Basin, Artist Drive etc) and Stovepipe Wells area (Sand dunes, Devil's cornfield etc). Is it possible to see any Joshua trees in these regions? Thanks very much!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
371 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Death Valley Joshua Trees

Hopefully the experts will chime in later but I've read they can also be seen in White Sage FLat between Ubehebe Crater and the Racetrack

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,482 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Death Valley Joshua Trees

Yes, there is huge stand of Joshua Trees just north of Teakettle Junction on Racetrack Rd, but that's not really a good option for someone with limited time in the park.

I think Joshua Trees don't fare that well in the prevailing climate at the lower elevations, and tend to be more common at higher altitudes. I don't remember seeing any Joshua Trees in the areas mentioned by the OP, but maybe someone who knows better than me can offer some alternative places to look.

-JimG

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Death Valley Joshua Trees

Would you be interested in seeing Joshua Trees in an area that is not Death Valley?

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,919 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Death Valley Joshua Trees

Not sure where you are coming from before or after DVNP, but the largest concentration of Joshua Trees in the world is in the the Mojave Preserve in the area of Teutonia Peak off Cima Road.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Death Valley Joshua Trees

Thanks so much guys for the tips! About my trip and seeing the trees outside death valley, I'm honestly up for it. However, I'm traveling with my mom, sister and aunt and this Death Valley day trip was my idea. They are not particularly excited for it so I think you get the point. Not that I don't want to go to other parks but I'm glad to be able to get this trip to Death Valley already so that was why I was hoping to see as much stuff that I wanted to see (the Joshua trees being one of them) as possible. Anyways, no worries because I will be staying in California till August next year (family just here for short holiday) so maybe some time next year I can check out the places you guys mentioned. I just thought that it would be possible to see it all in one place thats all.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,295 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Death Valley Joshua Trees

The Lee Flat area is the best one for most visitors. You can see them from Hwy 190, with no need to travel on unpaved roads. The Joshua trees there are not enormous, as some pictures you may have seen of these plants suggest. Larger ones are found in other parts of the Mojave Desert, more south of Death Valley. However, Lee Flat has lots of them close to the road.

Another area is in the north end, on the way to Ubehebe Crater.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Death Valley Joshua Trees

Oh! Is it possible for you to describe this north end area more specifically? It might work I'm not sure yet. Thanks so much! Really appreciate it.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,295 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Death Valley Joshua Trees

Ubehebe Crater is a volcanic crater in the north end of the park, just south of Scotty's Castle. You reach it by turning off Hwy 190 onto North Highway (also called Castle Road). Then a short paved road (maybe 5 miles) goes to the crater, and along the way you can see Joshua trees.

The crater is also worth seeing. It wasn't formed by an eruption, but by a steam explosion when groundwater came into contact with molten magma. The resulting crater is covered with loose pumice ash soil, but there is no obsidian because there was never a lava flow. People can walk down into the crater (walking out will be more work, because of the loose surface!), or walk around the rim and see smaller craters. If you have time to see Scotty's Castle, that's an added attraction, but the crater itself would be interesting if you like geology.

Ubehebe is pronounced "you be he be." The name comes from a Timbisha Shoshone phrase for "basket in the rock."

This is about an hour north of Furnace Creek (approximately).

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Death Valley Joshua Trees

Wow, thanks so much for the tip! I'll do my best to fit that in cause it sounds really interesting, though I'm not necessarily into geology. Appreciate the help!

10. Re: Death Valley Joshua Trees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Death Valley National...