We are a family of 4 ( including 2 boys: 10 and 4 yeas old), like taking pictures, non experienced but like hike easy trails (not more than 2 miles), love natural sites more than historic sites, will visit Death Valley first time next year on March 27. We will drive our FWD CR-V. We will stay in the park one night only.
And not sure what to do. Please help. Any advise will be appreciated.
Here is our plan:
- We will leave home at Ontario, California about 8:00 AM and take 395. May spend a half hour at Ridgecrest, then head to Stovepipe Wells as soon as possible. (We want to spend more time in the park than on the road)
*Question: Is there any snow on the road that time? Expect what time will we arrive to SPW? Even we want to arrive to SPW asap, is there any acttraction on the way that shouldn't be missed?
- At SPW, there are two things we want to do: hike Mosaic canyon and play on Mesquite sand dunes at sunset. We will stay at SPW.
*Question: If there is still time to do something in between, what would you suggest? hike a little bit at titus canyon? salt creek? We are not the fan of castle, so Scotty Castle is not in my list. We want to see at least one crater, but I afraid that there is not enough time to do it. Am I right?
- In the next morning, I may get up early for sunset photo of the sand dunes, but my family may leave the hotel late, probably 9:00 AM. We want to see the Badlands water, Natural Bridge, Devils Golf, Artist drive and Golden Canyon, then have lunch at Furnace creek
* Question: Can we have time enough to do all of these then have lunch at 1:00? How much time should we spend at Golden Canyon?
- If it is possible, we may leave Furnace Creek at 3:00 to see Zabriskie point, and Dante View, then head to Las Vegas via Palrhump. Because we never take this road before and it may be dark at 5:30 in March, and I am not a very good driver in new, strange, dark road, I am worry a lot.
*Question: Is there any snow likely on this road on late March? Should I drop Dante View in my list? Should I change the road, drive all the way down to Baker before dark, then to Las Vegas? I am Ok to drive from Baker to Las Vegas in any condition.
Thanks in advance for any help.