We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation logistics question Las Vegas to Furnace creek

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
98 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation logistics question Las Vegas to Furnace creek

Planning on visiting Death Valley on July 9th, (yes it will be deadly hot)!

I've been studying the maps and our plan is to come from Las Vegas on HWY 160 -190 and do a loop back on Badwater road and old Spanish trail.

I see Dante's peak is on the way from Las Vegas to Furnace creek. I also know we must purchase somewhat of a visitor pass or entrance fee to be in the national park. Do I have to pay this fee first in Furnace creek and then come back to Dante's peak or can I do the peak first and then go to Furnace creek?

Also, if we rent a car in Las Vegas, do we have to ask for something specific? Type of car? Or anything well maintained with 4 wheels and A/C will do? Any recommendation? Any renting company is better for this kind of trip?

Thank you!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,290 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation logistics question Las Vegas to Furnace creek

Just pay at the Visitor Center when you get there.

A regular car is fine. I recommend taking water and snacks with you.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
98 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation logistics question Las Vegas to Furnace creek

ok thanks!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation logistics question Las Vegas to Furnace creek

The drive south of Badwater on Badwaterroad to Ashford Mills and 178 to Shoshone. That stretch till Ashford Mills is curvy and narrow The sun will be in your face and reflects the saltflats. Drive carefully. Old Spansh trail aka Tecopa rd.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,205 posts
631 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation logistics question Las Vegas to Furnace creek

Please heed the advice of water! Take at least a gallon of water per day per person. This is the minimum. It is easy to leave water in your rental car at the end of the journey, but very hard to find in the middle of the desert! Snacks are also a good idea. Do not worry about the pass. Buy it when you get to FC.

ZB

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
98 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation logistics question Las Vegas to Furnace creek

Yes, we will get a cheap cooler in LV and fiil it with gallons of water and stuff to eat. We will be very careful. I think we will also tell the hotel desk where we are going and when we are expecting to come back.

When I travel, i'm always ready to resolve quickly every unfortunate situation that can happen. My bf thinks i'm bats**t crazy but he is very happy when i have a cream for a rash, a antacid for his stomach, a band aid for a little cut, etc. We will also make sure we have our sunscreen, sunglasses, large brimmed hats, chapstick and eye drops, if we happen to get out of the car for a little walk around.

So, thinking about bringing plenty of water should not be a problem for me!

Death Valley...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation logistics question Las Vegas to Furnace creek

When you come into the park through the east entrance you will see Ryan's Kisok where you can purchase a pss into the park. However if it isn't working you still go up to Dantes and then pay your fee at the visitor center in the Furnace Creek area.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
98 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation logistics question Las Vegas to Furnace creek

ok thanks Alicia! I heard about kiosk but didn't know where they were located.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation logistics question Las Vegas to Furnace creek

Paying at the visitor center all the money goes to the National park and you can pay cash.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,205 posts
631 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation logistics question Las Vegas to Furnace creek

Pay at the visitors center as Tet recommends! Glad to hear you understand about water!

ZB

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
98 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation logistics question Las Vegas to Furnace creek

Will do!

Get answers to your questions about Death Valley National...