We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stovepipe at night

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Stovepipe at night

Hi,

Me and the wife are driving through DV from Vegas on a trip up to Reno, and will be stopping a night at Stovepipe Wells in early September.

I was just wondering what it would be like at night - ie would there be a lot of traffic passing through, as I'm sort of thinking it would be nice to just take in the desert sights and sounds, as banking on a lack of light pollution for star gazing, and wondered if we'd need to get out of the resort to fully appreciate the tranquility of the park at night?

Cheers

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stovepipe at night

There is not much traffic (comercial trucking is prohibited on 190), and you are in the middle of nowhere, but there are some lights at the resort...

I would recommend driving the two miles to one mile east on 190 to the sand dunes... It is one of the wonderful places to sit and watch it get dark... Of course Bad Water is wonderful at sunset too...

Randy

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
609 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stovepipe at night

Yes, you need to get out of Dodge. Sand dunes great but be sure and take water and not wander too far even though you will surely be tempted to do so. The issue is do not get lost or separated from one another. Always carry water individually, even at night!

ZB

Edited: 18 August 2014, 16:48
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stovepipe at night

Very little traffic on 190 after sunset. We just walked several hundreds of yards to the east from Stovepipe ells to enjoy great nightskies.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,237 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stovepipe at night

Stovepipe Wells is a small resort, without the big footprint that Furnace Creek has. It used to have very bright white lights, and at night, from the Grapevine entrance station it looked like an airport sitting in the middle of nowhere. The lighting was revamped in recent years and is far more subdued, and directed toward the ground where it's actually needed. Guests are even asked to help maintain darkness by closing their curtains at night and using only enough light outdoors for safety. The southeastern part of the resort, on the dark side of the Roadrunner Building, is darker than the more central area by the office, restaurant, etc. Take a lantern or flashlight if you walk there, because parts of the grounds are unpaved dirt with plants, rocks, or other tripping hazards.

Light is light. This is an inhabited area, so you can't avoid some pollution.

Agreed that the Sand Dunes is a better spot for stargazing, as well as sunset and sunrise. Check the times for your specific dates, and for sunset, try to be in place at least 20 minutes ahead; because DV is surrounded by mountains, the sun will be out of view earlier than the official time.

www.sunrisesunset.com/USA/NationalParks/

Use the time shown for Furnace Creek; the Sand Dunes are maybe 3 minutes of longitude farther west so it won't make a difference.

Dantes View is about 50 miles east of Stovepipe, while Zabriskie Point, another nice spot for stargazing, is about 30 miles away.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Stovepipe at night

Brilliant - cheers for the responses. I reckon we'll probably try the sand dunes, as they're not too far away. I wouldnt have thought we'd do much wandering around at that time of the night, but cheers for the water tip - I probably wouldn't have thought we'd need water after dark too..

Looking forward to it!

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,237 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stovepipe at night

** "I probably wouldn't have thought we'd need water after dark too.." **

You always need water in Death Valley. At night, you will feel cooler simply because the sun is not shining on you, but the humidity is still very low. By the standards of most visitors, September is still summer, and temperatures often get into the 43-45º range in the daytime.

People are continually dehydrating even if they don’t realize it. Nature likes equilibrium, and if your lungs, internal organs, eyes or other mucuous membranes are moist and the air around is extremely dry, it will draw the moisture out of you even as you talk or just breathe.

7. Re: Stovepipe at night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Death Valley National...