We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel/Lodge for someone sensitive to perfumed things

Madison, Wisconsin
4 posts
Save Topic
Hotel/Lodge for someone sensitive to perfumed things

My husband is very sensitive to things like perfumed cleaning supplies and air fresheners. We are planning a visit in Denali for next summer (2018) and are looking for hotels/lodges that are clean and odorless (at least free from perfumed smells). Any recommendations? I figure it's Alaska and most folks appreciate the smell of the outdoors rather than perfumes, but I thought I'd try and verify some good places to stay. We are looking into staying outside of the park. Thanks!

10 replies to this topic
Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
6,657 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel/Lodge for someone sensitive to perfumed things

Here's the list of lodging in the Denali area: denalichamber.com/denali-member-directory/

You might have to just start calling them until you find the right one.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,405 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel/Lodge for someone sensitive to perfumed things

Most places I've stayed in Alaska do have a mild odor, sometimes of lemon, sometimes of some other cleaner or deodorizer. Only once did I find it offensive and had to open the window to air the place out.

I agree with AKStafford: contact the various lodgings and see if they're willing to work with you regarding their cleaning products.

"most folks appreciate the smell of the outdoors rather than perfumes"

It's a fact of life that humans have body odors. And some don't have the best hygiene, making matters worse. Some women wear enough perfume to choke a horse. Most lodgings do what they can to make the rooms pleasant-smelling, but if you want the smell of the outdoors, consider camping. Denali is a wonderful place to do just that.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
44,890 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel/Lodge for someone sensitive to perfumed things

Or you could rent an RV, that way you are in control of any scents from the moment you pick it up. As far as hotels, what is your nightly budget? That would help to know - thanks! I can think of a few nicer/more organic places that care of about cleaning products. :)

Madison, Wisconsin
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel/Lodge for someone sensitive to perfumed things

We are looking at spending less than $600 per night per room, so not the lodges or cabins within Denali likely. Thanks for any leads you have!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
44,890 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel/Lodge for someone sensitive to perfumed things

This is the first one that came to mind: http://tonglenlake.com/

Bugibba, Malta
Level Contributor
487 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel/Lodge for someone sensitive to perfumed things

There are plenty of campgrounds, you will be one to one with nature. If you are into camping do camp here.

We camped at the park gate. Since you cannot drive inside the park, we then took daily busses inside the park.

Edited: 06 November 2017, 12:08
Munich
Level Contributor
9,932 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel/Lodge for someone sensitive to perfumed things

No, you can drive inside the nationalpark: When you have booked a campsite in the park, maybe Teklanika or Savage River you can drive to the campground.

Beate

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
13,067 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel/Lodge for someone sensitive to perfumed things

"Since you cannot drive inside the park, we then took daily busses inside the park."

"...you can drive inside the nationalpark: When you have booked a campsite in the park, maybe Teklanika or Savage River you can drive to the campground."

There's some important distinctions to know with the above statements; to an extent they are both right. In general the public cannot drive on the Denali park road, except for:

- you can drive the park road to approx. mile 15 (the Savage River turnaround)

- thru late May, and in Sep. after the road lottery (if the road is clear); the public may drive the park road as far as mile 30 (Teklanika)

- RV campers, with a booked camp sight at Teklanika, may take their vehicle in to their campsite (once) and out of their camp site (once). Their car/truck/RV must stay at the campsite for the duration of the stay; and the campers must use the park's transportation system while at the campsite (not their personal vehicle). Riley Creek and Savage River are on the portion before the Savage River turnaround and the public is always allowed to drive their own vehicles at these campgrounds. Teklanika is the only campground beyond mile 15 that allows RVs.

- I'm sure I've missed something, but I think I'm pretty close. For more details see:

https:/…-148.491

Bugibba, Malta
Level Contributor
487 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel/Lodge for someone sensitive to perfumed things

Thanks sdpryde for the clarification. By cannot drive I meant for sightseeing during peak tourist season

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,645 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel/Lodge for someone sensitive to perfumed things

We really like the McKinley Creekside Cabins for lodging near Denali. You could call them and ask about their cleaning products.

www.mckinleycabins.com/about/welcome.htm

Reply to: Hotel/Lodge for someone sensitive to perfumed things
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted