We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging near Denali Park

Richmond, IL
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging near Denali Park

We are recent retirees and are going on an inside passage cruise in June. We would like to spend 2 nights around Denali Park. Any suggestions, we don't need luxury, just clean rooms.

Also, what is the best way to get from Anchorage to Denali? Bus or train?

Any suggstions would be appreciated.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,478 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging near Denali Park

Welcome to TA.

Personally I like the McKinley Creekside Cabins. They are about 14 miles south of the park entrance. Clean, some have kitchnettes, I think some may even have full kitchens. Good restaurant on the premises too if you don't want to do any cooking/shopping yourself.

However, since you are asking about how to get to Denali from Anchorage, I am assuming you won't have your own car so this place is eliminated. Probably the 'best" way to get there is with a rental car since it is difficult to get around near Denali without a car when you need to rely on shuttle service provided by your lodging, which can be sporadic at best. I would say the train is nice but if the bus times are more convenient, it will probably be shorter by bus.

John

Richmond, IL
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging near Denali Park

Thanks for your response. I didn't really want to rent a car, but I guess It's something we should think about.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,539 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging near Denali Park

Congrats on your retirement! Well, I would sure prefer the train over the bus . . . it's a lovely way to travel. But as John mentioned, you lose alot of flexiblity when you don't have a car up here. You will also be limited to the hotels in the entrance area that offer shuttles to and from the train depot. There are lots more choices in accommodations when you have a car - either staying south of the Park (like at McKinley creekside) or North in the town of Healy. Usually those places are not only cheaper, but give you a different glimpse of the area beyond the normal tourist spots. Check out www.denalichamber.com - most of our local lodgings are listed there - if you would like some specific recommendations, I would be happy to help. You do have quite a bit of time to plan and research, so that's good. Best of luck! :)

4. Re: Lodging near Denali Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 22:18