We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which shuttle in Denali

CA
Level Contributor
310 posts
325 reviews
Save Topic
which shuttle in Denali

Which shuttle do you suggest taking in Denali?

Fish Creek about 66 miles

new visitor center -- about 66 miles

polychrome about 47 miles

How far is Toklat? Frommmes recommends this trip.

We do want time to get off shuttle.

We have two full days in Denali...

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,491 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which shuttle in Denali

I would recommend going all the way to Wonder Lake - or at least booking that far, as you can always return earlier if the weather isn't that great. Toklat is prior to Fish Creek . . . it's where the NPS houses many summer employees as well as the rangers. There has been a potty stop here for the shuttle buses - not sure if that has changed. Lots of bears tend to hang out at Toklat - they even have a nickname of the Toklat grizzlies. In the Spring, you can see the lambs playing on a hillside across the river from Toklat. There are some good hikes in the area as well - but that is pretty much true for the entire park. It is in a treed area - if you are looking for vistas, you'll want to go a bit further on the bus. Near Fish creek has some great vistas! :)

Cherry Hill, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: which shuttle in Denali

It seems like WL is highly recommended so that's the one I booked.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: which shuttle in Denali

If you are taking both days on the bus into Denali, I would go out to Wonder Lake especially if the mountain is out on the first day and come back to the Eielson or Fish Creek area to do some easy walking around. This will assure that you get to see all of the park and give you a good idea of the various types of terrain to go hiking in. I prefer the dry tundra in the higher elevations like Highway or Thorofare Pass which offer great visability and easier walking. There is also frequent wildlife sightings in these areas.

Also above Eielson there are 2 very nice hikes, one actually has a trail to the west ridgeline above the Visitors center and can be done in a couple of hours. The other is mostly trailess but easy to follow to the east above the VC and follows the bluffs above the Park road and decends back toward Fish Creek where you can flag down another bus. This area again offers stupendious views with relatively easy walking and makes a nice place to sit and have lunch. If there are any other areas you are looking at or want additional suggestions please let me know.

- Kery

ps....remember to bring plenty of food and water as there are no services after you leave the entrance. If you have a water filter you can find one of the many clear water sources and fill your water there.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,670 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which shuttle in Denali

I also place my vote for Wonder Lake. Take time to walk around that area. If the Mountain is out, walk to and past the campground on the gravel path for excellent views of the Mountain. As was said, you can always get off the bus sooner and take a different bus back.

John

New York
Level Contributor
3,380 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which shuttle in Denali

You don't say when you are there. Only my preference but I avoid Wonder Lake before mid August, just too significant of a bug problem for me. But, I have also been to Wonder Lake many times, so my travels are different than a first timer. (I do use Deet and head nets for max bug protection, still not my thing. )

For clairfication, Fish Creek is a temp visitor center at mile 63. Eielson is supposed to open early this season which is mile 66.

Frommer's is definately off the mark with only recommending Toklat, in my opinion?? mile 53, the regular posters here, would not recommend it, with many many trips overall to Denali Park??

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,670 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which shuttle in Denali

My strong preference, even before mid August, is still Wonder Lake. How often will you get to Denali? If several times like Budgetqueen and me, then only going a shorter distance might be OK. But I camp at Wonder Lake even in June and July. It is too good of a gem to be missed, in spite of the mosquito problem.

>>For clairfication (sic), Fish Creek is a temp visitor center at mile 63. Eielson is supposed to open early this season which is mile 66.

For further clarification, Fish Creek is a temporary turnaround point at mile 63 while Eielson is being rebuilt - no visitor center there. The temporary visitor center is at Toklat.

John

CA
Level Contributor
310 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which shuttle in Denali

In response to some of the above questions:

This is our first trip to Denali, have no idea if we will get there again.

We will be in Alaska the first 2 weeks in July. Our dates for Denali are arriving on July 4, and departing on July 7th.

Is the Fourth of July weekend a bad time to be in Denali due to extra crowds?

If we do Wonder Lake one day, what do you suggest for the 2nd day?

We are not into long hikes, but enjoy short walks.

I really appreciate all the advice.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: which shuttle in Denali

Another vote for Wonder Lake.

Other things to do in Denali: whitewater rafting (the easy I & II or more exciting III & IV), see the free Ranger sled dog demo at 10, 2 or 4 (free bus leaves 1/2 hr. before show), walk an entrance trail, drive the 14 miles into the park that cars are allowed and do a short hike from there, flightseeing, kayaking, horseback riding, dinner theatre.

Texas
Level Contributor
277 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which shuttle in Denali

My mother and I are also going to Denali this summer -- July 23rd. I have been looking at shuttle info and tour bus info. Which would you recommend? I like the idea of getting on and off the shuttle and doing own thing but am wondering is it hard to get a shuttle back or they overcrowded? Also, how comfortable are shuttles vs. tour buses? Mom is 75.

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: which shuttle in Denali

The LARGE majority of us will recommend the shuttle - lower price and goes further into the park. I don't think you'd find much difference in the comfort.