We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegetarian food a problem?

9 posts
Save Topic
Vegetarian food a problem?

My husband and I are both vegetarian. We don't have sea food either. But we are not vegan. Dairy is ok. Is it going to be a problem to find vegetarian food in Denali? Or even in Anchorage/Talkeetna for that matter?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
42,297 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegetarian food a problem?

Most better restaurants have at least one or two options for vegetarians on their menu, even here in the Denali area. You would do great in Homer! :) In Anchorage, my favorite breakfast/lunch is Snow City cafe www.snowcitycafe.com - you can check out their menu.

For Denali, I would recommend 229 Parks hwy for one of your dinners, and McKinley Creekside - you will be happy with their food choices.

But I would buy most of your snack food while in Anchorage so you have plenty of your personal choices available for you. Happy eating! :)

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegetarian food a problem?

had quite a few people here laugh when they heard I was going to Alaska, since I'm a vegetarian. guess they thought the only thing they have in Alaska to eat is fish. You really should go to Snow City Cafe in Anchorage for a breakfast. I got an omelet there that had Morning Star Farms sausage mixed in with it. It was really good. Very large menu. They have really good berry jams as well. wish we had a place like that here. Most places I ate at were pretty decent selection-wise. Try the corn nuggets. There is a place in 'glitter gulch' area that had them as well as a pretty decent salad bar. Can't remember the name of it. It's just to the right of Denali Outdoor Center's town location. Just for description info, it is a very small eatery and had picnic style tables pushed together to eat on. Mckinley creekside cafe is wonderful. Had a taco wrap that was great. had to eat there again before we left town. went to 229 Parks. there wasn't a very large selection there. what I did get was pretty good. the bread and the butter spread they had was really good. Had the Eggplant at Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge. chose to eat there, because the mountain was out and we wanted to keep looking at it. the eggplant itself was not very good. really tough skinned. Should've gone with the large caeser salad. The roadhouse would probably have been a better choice food wise. Seward and Homer were both easy to find food. you can do a search on this Alaska forum for restaurants or vegetarian restaurants. then do a general on-line search with the restaurant name. most of the restaurants have their menu on-line.

We did go shopping before we left Anchorage. for convenience sake (save time and some $$$ on meals) we went with granola bars and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for some breakfast and lunches. bought drinks, chips, cookies, plastic knives, ziploc bags, napkins and a cooler.

Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegetarian food a problem?

Anchorage has great Thai restaurants with delicious vegetarian dishes.

Natural Pantry, New Sagaya (both on the Old Seward Highway across from each other are natural foods stores. However, Freddy's & Carrs have health food sections & bins.

I am mostly vegan except for my freezer full of salmon. I have no problem finding things to eat at restaurants in Alaska. However, do your grocery shopping in Anchorage or Wasilla if you want tofu & such! The quick grocery shops in Talkeetna & around Denali are not vegetarian-friendly.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegetarian food a problem?

I'm not sure if this would be true vegetarian fare - but I've read several posts mentioning that Subways are easy to find and many suggest buying subs to take on the shuttle bus - would the veggie sub work for you?

9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegetarian food a problem?

Sorry for the late response. This is great. Thank you all! Snowbird does seem to have great vegetarian options. I did not know there were so many thai restaurants either.

flame70 thanks for the options available in denali. Bottomline - we will carry some snacks to Denali from Anchorage anyway.

Thanks again

6. Re: Vegetarian food a problem?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 19:19