We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finally - the sun is shining! Denali Road open . . .

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,894 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Finally - the sun is shining! Denali Road open . . .

Oh, finally - the sun is shining and it is warm. I saw my first mew gull on the river today - surely spring is here, and for those of you who haven't been to Alaska, when we have almost 20 hrs of daylight, things can change quickly - I am hoping for a really quick green up!!

and now for the Park news: Denali Park Road to Open to Mile 30 on Saturday, May 3

Late spring snow storms had stymied the efforts of the National Park Service road crew and other park employees to open the park for visitors, but the sun is finally shining! The portion of the Denali Park Road between the Savage River (Mile 15) and the Teklanika River Rest Area at Mile 30 will open for travel by private vehicles on Saturday, May 3, weather permitting. Visitors are encouraged to call ahead for updated road and weather conditions before driving to the park.

Motorists should expect to encounter snow, ice, and mud on some portions of the road, particularly shaded areas. Please be alert for heavy equipment

being used in road opening operations and park personnel working on the edges of the road. There are vault toilets at the Savage River parking areas and chemical toilets at the Teklanika River Rest Area for visitor use. Other facilities west of the park headquarters, including campgrounds, are scheduled to open later in May.

The road will be open to Mile 30 through Monday, May 19. Beginning on Tuesday, May 20 the shuttle bus system will provide access beyond the Savage River to as far west as the Toklat River (Mile 53). The first fifteen miles of the park road will continue to be open for travel by park visitors in private vehicles throughout the summer season.

Snow conditions for skiing and mushing have deteriorated, but there is still good snow on north-facing slopes. Numerous wildlife sightings have

been reported along the first fifteen miles of the road, including lynx, wolves, caribou, moose, ptarmigan and snowshoe hare.

Visitor information and backcountry permits are available at the Murie Science and Learning Center (Mile 1.3) from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. daily.

The Riley Creek Campground is open for free camping until mid-May, but water and sewer services are currently not available. A vault toilet is

provided for campers in the open loop, and water can be obtained at the Murie Science and Learning Center.

Denali National Park and Preserve collects an entrance fee year-round. The entrance fee of $10 per person or $20 per vehicle is good for seven days. The majority of the money collected remains in the park to be used for projects to improve visitor services and facilities. Interagency Federal

Recreation Passes such as the Annual, Senior, and Access Pass, and the Denali Annual Pass are also valid for entry into the park. Visitors can pay

entrance fees and purchase passes at the Murie Science and Learning Center.

Additional information can be obtained by calling the park at (907)683-2294 from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. daily or on the web at www.nps.gov/dena.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finally - the sun is shining! Denali Road open . . .

Thanks for the update. I will not be up to Alaska and the Denali area until Aug. 2009, but have already learned a lot about the area from your postings. It's great to have such a knowlegable resource for the users of this board.

Looking forward to learning more and preparing for my trip.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,894 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finally - the sun is shining! Denali Road open . . .

Thanks for your comment - I love to research as well . . . even if it is a year or two away, so I am glad you do too - your trip will be far richer than the person who just "arrives". :)

Level Contributor
166 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finally - the sun is shining! Denali Road open . . .

Thanks coalminer for the update. We'll be there from June 4th- June 8th and hope we can get as far as Toklat or the Eielson Centre.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Finally - the sun is shining! Denali Road open . . .

Good morning Coalminer,

Thanks for the great news, this is finally the turning point for all of us inpatiently waiting to get out to Wonder Lake and into the backcountry this year. You have shed a ray of hope that the snow will melt and open up this woderful park for all to experience.

Keep the updates coming and enjoy the arrival of spring.

- Kery

north carolina
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Finally - the sun is shining! Denali Road open . . .

What a true blessing to have someone such as yourself to give great info.Having said that if you had 7-8 days in the first of sept what would be your top picks for things to do and see.There are 4 adults in good shape that love to hike{loved Angels Landing at Zion} love to see wildlife.Flying into Anchorage.I think if we had an Rv would be great cause we could stay back in the campgrounds,but what to do with a rental car for the week other then driving back to Anchorage and stopping and seeing other places.Thanks think i'll have some ice cream.

]

Anchorage, AK
Level Contributor
184 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Finally - the sun is shining! Denali Road open . . .

I have been looking forward to this. In fact I plan to leave from Anchorage at 5:00 a.m. tomorrow to drive up for the day. Hoping for some wildlife sightings.

Austria
Level Contributor
66 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Finally - the sun is shining! Denali Road open . . .

Thank you, coalminer, we're all deeply in your debt.

Inge

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,301 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Finally - the sun is shining! Denali Road open . . .

alaskaexplorer

Please post when you get back and let us know how the drive went and what animals were out and about.

Everyone else also.

Hopefully when I get up early Monday morning, I'll have some mini reports to read.

Coalminer, are you driving in?

John, since you're up there, are you driving into DNP also?

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Finally - the sun is shining! Denali Road open . . .

Icecreamqueen.... an RV is great for Denali. Plus the beginning of September the tundra is turning.

I love staying at Teklanika Campground at mile 30 & using the cheap Tek bus pass. You have to reserve for 3 nights.

10. Re: Finally - the sun is shining! Denali Road open . . .

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 15:19
Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...