We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last shuttle days of year

north carolina
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Last shuttle days of year

I know i should already know this after all the hours i've spent on this site, but plans have changed for me as far as coming this fall.My question is sept 11 the last time you can take the shuttle into the park? How would you see the park after that?Hike? My plan was to come in sept and reserve at tek after renting an rv in anc and spending 4-5 days in denali hiking and enjoying every moment,but when you work with family members that do not see things as you do things have to change some what.Anyway thanks to TA for having this site to vent--thanks

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,228 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last shuttle days of year

In September after the shuttle buses stop running, the park then opens to a road lottery - only a select number of people get to drive the road in their personal vehicle (you can read more about the road lottery on the park website). However, all of that is subject to weather - if they get an early snow, it can/will close the road, and then there is no traffic - no buses, no road lottery. It just depends on weather, so if I were you and you really like to hike, I would try to come much earlier in September. Winter comes early to Denali Park!

And yes, you can vent anytime you want - we don't mind! :)

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last shuttle days of year

According to the NPS website, Sept. 11 is the last day for shuttle buses this year. nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/visitor-transport…

As the previous poster said, Denali weather in mid-September is likely to be wintery. We did the road lottery in 2005 and 2007, and both times the NPS had traffic stopped for awhile for snow clearing; it was raining/snowing and visibility was not good. Very early Sept. is OK, but there is a reason that the shuttle buses stop running when they do.

3. Re: Last shuttle days of year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 03:17
Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...