We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just another hiking report....

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Just another hiking report....

Stayed 10 days at Igloo Campground, a primitive campsite not for the faint of heart. It's tent-only with bears & wolves going thru the area. Primitive outhouses. Water must be treated from Igloo Creek. For me it was wonderful.

Day 1: Stony Dome... caribou on top in clouds

Day 2 : Hike Igloo Creek over Sable Pass- lots of golden eagles

Thorofare River hike- bear with cubs; caribou

tough climb back up to road

Day 3: East Fork River braid hike from East Fork bridge to Polychrome- marmots & pika

Climb Gravel Mountain- bear

Day 4 West Branch of Tolklat hike

Hwy. Pass hike up south drainage to canyon & waterfall

Day 5: Sable Ridge hike- caribou

Gravel Mountain canyon- jaegers protecting nests

Day 6: Cathedral Mountain climb: ground squirrelville;

mama with cub encounter

Day 6: Thoro Ridge climb

Day 7: Igloo Canyon- coyote

Day 8: Hwy Pass/ Stony area hike

Day 9: Ride camper bus to Kantishna

Day 10: Pack up & out

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Just another hiking report....

Cat,

It sounds like you are having a fantastic summer of hiking in Denali. Let me know if you ever post any pictures, I would love to see some of the areas I haven't been to yet.

Keep up the great reports and enjoy your summer up there.

- Kery

north carolina
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Just another hiking report....

All i can say is WOW!!!!!!! It sure sounds like you had a fantastic trip.Question about whether or not you would need to take something to purify water if you were going to only do day hikes? I guess if you took something to treat the h2o you would not need to carry as much water.What is the best to take?Thanks again.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just another hiking report....

I boil water for cooking at Igloo; however, I take Aqua Mira purification drops for drinking water for hiking. I also fill up at Eielson whenever possible since a lot of my hiking is up around Hwy Pass/Thoro Pass/Stony area.

Illinois
Level Contributor
179 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just another hiking report....

Thanks for sharing your hiking/wildlife report. What type of mama with cub encounter did you have on Day 6?

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just another hiking report....

brown bear with cub....!

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just another hiking report....

Kery... wish I were a photographer but I am too busy hiking!

I highly recommend Sable Ridge , the ridge that runs from Cathedral back behind the Sable closure to where can be seen the headwater glacier of the Tek River. Wildflower tundra, magnificent! Easy stroll once across Igloo Creek.

Another magnificent recommendation is to climb Igloo Mountain & hike the ridge from east peak to west peak. What awesome views of Cathedral & Polychrome.

7. Re: Just another hiking report....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 04:18
Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...