We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shuttle to, repeat TO, the park?

Purcell, Missouri
Level Contributor
67 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Shuttle to, repeat TO, the park?

My mother lives in Fairbanks. The wife and I are planning on flying into Fairbanks and staying with her for a few days, then having her drive us to one of the local hotels, cabins, B&B's somewhere within 10 miles of DNP. She then goes back home. We will stay in/around Denali for a day or two then on to the railroad south to Anchorage and cruise.

How do we get from our cabin/hotel to the DNP and back?

Should I just contact each lodging spot and ask if they run a private shuttle to and from the park? Or is there a state-owned or private-owned bus running outside the park?

Thanks Much!

Go Cats

Mentioned in this post
Denali
Denali
2,178 Reviews
Denali National Park and Preserve, AK
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,800 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shuttle to, repeat TO, the park?

You will most likely need to stay close to the park entrance in "Glitter Gulch." I don't know of any lodging options in say Healy or south of the park entrance near Carlo Creek that offer transportation to the park except the youth hostel, and even then it is quite limited.

No regular shuttle service so check with the lodging near the park entrance to verify if they have a shuttle, how often it runs and if it costs anything.

John

Mentioned in this post
Healy
Healy
Carlo Creek Lodge
Carlo Creek Lodge
155 Reviews
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
42,956 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shuttle to, repeat TO, the park?

Hi there! Most of the smaller cabins and B&B's don't have any kind of shuttle or transportation. That is why almost everyone coming in on the railroad stays near the entrance area. However, there are two transport services I know of - Caribou Cab and shuttle - 907-683-2851 and Denali Transportation and Tour - 907-683-4765. Hope this helps. :)

Mentioned in this post
Denali
Denali
2,178 Reviews
Purcell, Missouri
Level Contributor
67 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shuttle to, repeat TO, the park?

Excellent information and, as always, TA is the place to be to get answers to questions.

Thanks Again!!

Go Cats

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
68 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shuttle to, repeat TO, the park?

We are travelling to Denali by train in June. My wife is unable to walk long distances so having read John's and coalminer's replies to the OP I believe that we should be staying in "Glitter Gulch". What are the options other than the Denali Park Resorts group and Princess Wilderness Lodge?

Is there a shuttle from the Glitter Gulch hotels to the Visitor Centre? Also from the railroad depot to the hotels?

Thanks in advance

Derek

Mentioned in this post
Denali
Denali
2,178 Reviews
Denali Park Hotel
Denali Park Hotel
396 Reviews
Healy, AK
Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge
Denali Princess...
1,638 Reviews
McKinley Village, AK
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,800 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shuttle to, repeat TO, the park?

I believe some hotels offer a shuttle - you will have to call them. If they offer a shuttle to anywhere near the park entrance that will work - the train station is across from the visitor center and there is a bus between there and the Wilderness Access Center (a 1/2 mile or so walk).

www.denalichamber.com gives a comprehensive list of lodging. Not sure if there is one list of places just in that one area - maybe coalminer will know more.

The two options coalminer gave above are the other options for transport.

John

Mentioned in this post
Wilderness Access Center
Wilderness Access Center
308 Reviews
6. Re: Shuttle to, repeat TO, the park?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 09:20