We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White Water Rafting in Denali

Which Denali National Park and Preserve hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Farmingdale, New...
Level Contributor
86 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
White Water Rafting in Denali

Any suggestions as to which company to choose to go white water rafting on the Nenana in Denali?

We are looking to do either the 2 or 4 hour trip. Thoughts?

THANKS!!

Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: White Water Rafting in Denali

We just did the 2 hour trip with the Denali Outdoor Center. The guide was safety aware and very friendly, but limited us on the strokes he wanted us to do; thus there were times we missed what I thought would be good rapids. When the accompanying party, although on a float trip with the guide doing all the paddling, is wetter that the white water paddlers are, then something is not right. The 2 hr trip ended up being closer to 1 hr 20 min. That may be typical, I don't know. I was surprised how many companies there are offering raft trips. If possible, check out the companies yourself on the way to Glitter Gulch.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,953 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: White Water Rafting in Denali

I would recommend the DOC - they have the best reputation on the river. :)

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: White Water Rafting in Denali

DOC was great! As a first time rafter I can't really speak to the first comment but I will say we did get soaked (well completely splashed in our drysuits). They gave us a nice discount for booking our trip in person the day before.

Farmingdale, New...
Level Contributor
86 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: White Water Rafting in Denali

Just came back from Denali and the 2 hour White Water Rafting Trip on the Nenana. We did get splashed, but the dry suits worked great. This was different from other rafting trips I've done because they do not want you to flip or fall out of the boat- the water is too cold! I did jump out during a swimming section when they gave us the option- that's when my pants got wet underneath the dry suit (DOC guide Ty warned that the suit might leak, but I jumped in anyway!). We booked online and got a 10% discount, but you can also try booking at the Salmon Bake Restaurant (they have a tour booth) and they offer discount Denali tours (Denali Raft) for rafting, and also for flight seeing, etc. It was FUN!

This was the first time my friend went rafting and she was really nervous. She did the oar boat (I did the paddle boat) and she loved it. Great for first timers!

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: White Water Rafting in Denali

We just got back and went with Denali Raft Adventures. They were awesome. Our trip was a guided one where we didn't paddle. We did the adventure rafting down the Nenana which took us thorugh class III & IV rapids. The guide (dubbed "Denali Dan") was so knowledable and took us safely down river through some pretty rough stuff. I've rafted many rivers before and this was one of my favorite trips due to the guide and adventure (cold though). You have to raft when you go to Denali!

UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: White Water Rafting in Denali

We went Sept 5th with Denali raft adventure.It's probably good for first timers but if u've rafted before as we have on the Zambezi then there's no comparison.We had a fun boat though which helped although the guide looked like he just wanted it to end.We weren't paddling as our tour operator didn't give us the option so didn't know til we got there & then it was too late.I would recommend dressing in layers & also try to keep yr hands dry as the waters freezing.

Delta Junction, AK
Level Contributor
8 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: White Water Rafting in Denali

I've gone several times with Denali Outdoor Center over the years on the 2 hour trip, and went on the 4 hour trip a few weeks ago. I would highly recommend them, the guides are friendly and know their stuff. One warning: there are a few spots along the way where the water is calm and you can jump in. I did, and stayed totally dry in my drysuit, but my husband and one other guy who jumped in were soaked. Have fun!

boston, Ma
Level Contributor
76 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: White Water Rafting in Denali

Does anyone have experience with Nenana Raft Adventures? They have a coupon in the Tour Saver for their Denali Deluxe 6 hour (start to finish, includes pick ups) raft, it looks like only the guide paddles. I'm wondering if this is a good trip or if we should go with the type where the passengers paddle. That may be more fun. Suggestions?

CHICAGO
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: White Water Rafting in Denali

I just booked with them and they offer both paddle and oar. We booked 3 persons on the 2pm paddle and 3 persons on the 2 pm oar. They are applying the coupon. They also have 2 cabins the Cabins at Denali which look awesome they are the closest to the park entrence overlooking the river. I have delt on the phone with them and on line and they seem great to work with. We are excited. Can't yet comment on the trip but in the planning stages they have been good.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,656 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: White Water Rafting in Denali

Maybe I can get my wife interested in a white water raft trip up here. The only "white water" trip we have been on was at Disneyworld this past September.