We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental in Whittier

Which Denali National Park and Preserve hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car Rental in Whittier

We are taking a cruise this summer that will terminate in Whittier. We are planning to rent a car there and drive to Denali National Park for a couple of days. There are only two car rental options in Whittier: Avis, which is pretty expensive, and Harley's Rent Alaska, which is much cheaper. Has anyone ever rented from Harley? If you run into trouble on the drive to Denali, how do you get help? Our cell phone won't work there. Is there enough traffic on the road that getting help won't be an issue? Is this a safe drive for a couple of senior citizens?

Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental in Whittier

Wow, Whittier is so small I didn't know they had car rental there!

Why not consider taking the train or bus to Anchorage and renting a car there? Your choice will be far greater and hopefully the price better.

From where are you departing the state? You should consider car return as well and then getting to the airport or port.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,558 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental in Whittier

I agree w/the other poster - you would be far better renting a car from Anchorage, and the train would be lovely. The Parks Hwy is well maintained and traveled,so you should be just fine. And most Alaskans would help you if you broke down somewhere - I think you will enjoy the change from the cruise - good luck! :)

Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...