We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Lights

Which Denali National Park and Preserve hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
137 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Northern Lights

HI

Are the northern lights visible from Denali? IF so, is September a likely time to see them?

Ashryn

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern Lights

It is "possible" if there is the solar activity to create the aurora, plus clear skies necessary to see them. Without both, however, you won't see them. Last summer FTI got to see them in August at Wonder Lake :) (We stayed inside Denali for three nights shortly after FYI was there and the skies were very overcast with rain.)

For more info on the aurora and viewing them, most of the info is posted in the Fairbanks sub-forum. Here is a link to one of the threads posted there: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60826-i1068-k3877… .

Von

Edited: 13 February 2011, 14:22
Australia
Level Contributor
137 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern Lights

Thanks,

I realise that seeing the lights depends on quite a number of factors, just didn't know if they were seen in Denali. Fingers crossed we are lucky!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,407 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern Lights

Anywhere outside of a city and usually in the Interior as we have the clearest weather (usually), especially during the winter. I have seen them in late August/early September - you just need it to be dark. :)

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,310 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northern Lights

bump so as not to lock closed (linked to Top Questions).

Pocomoke City...
Level Contributor
11 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Northern Lights

You can see the Lights from Anchorage even with the lights from the city. I started looking out of our window to the north after midnight and saw them frequently. I have seen them in Talkeetna as well. You can look on one of the weather sites and find out if there is a high, medium, or low chance for activity. The show is supposed to be even better in Fairbanks, but every time I've been there it has been cloudy.

New York
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Northern Lights

You need a dark area and, yes, can be seen from Denali Park area.

IF you wish to see them, then consult the prediction link above, daily. Don't bother relying on anything further out. IF you get an active report, then plan on parking yourself for several hours, "waiting". You will need clear skys, meaning full views of stars.

Good Luck.

Australia
Level Contributor
137 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Northern Lights

Thanks for the information. We will be leaving next week and will be in Anchorage and Denali mid September. I have download an aurora app onto my Galaxy Tab so hopefully that will give us a good indication of whether we should be able to see them or not. Fingers crossed!!

Wasilla, Alaska
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Northern Lights

The Northern Light are visible from anywhere in Alaska. You need to get away from the city or town light. Many people go to Fairbanks to see them. The Aurora Borealis Lodge is one place set up for viewing the N.L. near Fairbanks.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Northern Lights

I saw them very briefly Sat around 6a as the skies were becoming light. They were very faint, but active curtains, shimmering in the twilight of morning.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,310 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Northern Lights

Bump since this thread is in the Top Questions and we don't want it to be locked for inactivity.