We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shuttle bus question

Which Denali National Park and Preserve hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
302 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Shuttle bus question

So I have been reading and following things but one thing I don't understand.

I should get reservations for the bus as it sells out ( got it )

I can get out of the shuttle bus at any point and hike and pick up another bus ( got it )

but wait if the bus is "Sold out" how do I get on the next bus ?

how long might I need to wait

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shuttle bus question

First, all shuttles start out with a couple of empty seats for the express purpose of picking up hikers. It used to be 4 seats, but I read somewhere recently that there are only 2--perhaps Denalicat or someone could find out for sure? (I just googled for the info I saw, here is the link: nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/campground-tek.htm )

Second, if *you* are out hiking, very likely other people will be too, meaning their seats will now be vacant and available for other hikers.

So if there are only 1 or 2 in your party, chances are good the first shuttle will have room. Just don't count on it and plan activities that are time-essential to do in case you have to wait a bit. If there are more than 2 in your group, be prepared to split up to take different shuttles, and arrange to meet somewhere. The only exception to that would be at the Eielson stop, where there is a bus dispatcher who can arrange a shuttle which has room for all of you.

Take a schedule along (available at the WAC when you pick up your tickets) so you know when to expect the next shuttle.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,119 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shuttle bus question

And if you plan on catching a "camper" bus back to the entrance, they almost always have room. Also, the Discovery Hike bus makes its way to Eielson after it drops off the Disco Hike people and becomes a "shuttle bus" so that gives lots more seats too.

All this to say, your chances are pretty good of catching a bus with empty seats. I hop off and on a lot and only remember two times I couldn't get on the first bus that came along. Once it was because a shuttle bus had broken down and they basically combined two buses (camper and shuttle bus) onto the camper bus. It really surprised me because camper buses are never full.

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
302 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shuttle bus question

So I looked at the site, as of yet there is no schedule.

just an estimate how often buses come by, every 15 minutes, 30, every hour ?

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,119 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shuttle bus question

Go to www.reservedenali.com and check the departure times to various points in the park. That is how often the buses depart. They usually come every 20-30 minutes in each direction. Can be shorter or longer depending on a lot of factors, and less often the further into the park you travel.

Edited: 22 April 2011, 17:08
Interior Alaska
Level Contributor
38 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shuttle bus question

Another thing to consider is buses are coming from the other direction too. Some buses overnight in Back Country, or they have gone out earlier and have turned around at Eielson, Wonder Lake or Kantishna.

I think the longest I waited...and wanted to because it was my day in the Park...was an hour after our ranger's hike. We had 10 in our party who made it back to the road at the same time. They had schedules and needed to return earlier than I. I walked on or near the road and enjoyed the day. I still returned early enough to make it to my favorite restaurant by dinner time.

Edited: 22 April 2011, 17:18
Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
302 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shuttle bus question

fti - I went to that site before and I found no schedule.

I see now you must act like your going to make a reservation to see the schedule. Sort of backwards.

here is what I found 7,8, 8:30, 9, 9:30, 10, 11, 12, 1, 2.

but now I have a new question this show a rate of 41.50 the site shows 31.50

I would guess this is because it includes the park fee.

I have a yearly national park pass I picked up in Utah so how does that work ?

do I need to call vs using the website

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,119 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shuttle bus question

nps.gov/dena/…feesandreservations.htm

Newtown...
Level Contributor
221 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shuttle bus question

You pay for the admission into the park when reserving your shuttle and get the entrance fee for annual, senior, or handicap pass refunded at the WAC when picking up your shuttle tickets. Thanks for asking the ? about getting another shuttle after hiking. I was also wondering about logistics.

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
302 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shuttle bus question

Sooo

If I was taking the shuttle say two days, I would pay the fee twice over and then get a refund when I picked the tickets up ?

Newtown...
Level Contributor
221 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shuttle bus question

No, you pay the entrance fee only once. If you book reservations separate times, call the 800# to book the different dates. They can track you reservation with your confirmation #. Remember that 3rd day of taking the shuttle is free, if time permits.

Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...