We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

missing Denali shuttle info

Which Denali National Park and Preserve hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Junction, Texas
Level Contributor
295 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
missing Denali shuttle info

Sorry, but I am confused. I keep reading about getting on and off the buses, waiting for the next, etc. but even on the park site I have apparently overlooked information on how long it is between buses, how many run each day, etc.

There are two of us. Could one get off and catch a return bus back to the entrance while the other continued on to the visitor center, etc.? Would someone please point me toward that information? Thank you.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,309 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: missing Denali shuttle info

nps.gov/dena, then click on Bus Services, then Shuttle Information. From there you have various choices.

www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

There is an advance shuttle schedule (showing just departure times to various turnaround points), so you get an idea of frequency. Detailed schedules are available for the shuttles through June 7th.

One year I went, tickets could be printed for each person in the group or one ticket total for everyone. I always made sure everyone had their own ticket. That allowed people to keep their own schedule (like you mentioned, splitting up with one going in one direction and another in a different direction). I am not sure if they still have the option for one ticket for everyone, but that was a stupid idea in my opinion. Everyone should have their own ticket.

Edited: 27 May 2011, 04:08
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
277 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: missing Denali shuttle info

Some advice for shuttle bus reservations. Last year when we went to check in the day before we found out the NPS lost our reservations. All the shuttle buses were full but luckily I had my receipt and credit card statement so they put us on a camper bus. Everything turned out fine but I don't know what would have happened if I hadn't had proof that I paid for tickets.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: missing Denali shuttle info

Good advice from Winny. Print out receipts/confirmation e-mails for EVERYTHING, from tours to accommodations, and take them with you. My first 2 trips to Alaska, I didn't need any of them, but my last trip I needed TWO to prove my reservations for accommodations....one for a cheaper rate I got by booking early, and the other had lost my reservation entirely....managed to fit me in, though, and gave me a big discount for my troubles....

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,037 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: missing Denali shuttle info

Ah yes MM, nothing louder than the voice of experience.......Many long years ago, we were visiting Alaska and even though I had my confirmation for accomodations in Juneau, the hotel had it listed for the same dates but a month later, so they had no room for us.......upgraded us to a suite in another hotel, worked fine, but DO keep that paperwork handy.........

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,309 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: missing Denali shuttle info

I was not a big fan of reconfirming reservations shortly before my departure (since I had everything printed out). But recently I have been reconfirming everything by Email - tours, lodging, etc. I also carry the printed confirmations for everything as well.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: missing Denali shuttle info

Another vote for keeping your receipts and reservation confirmations with you. (I use the 3 ring binder method)

I have more often run into trouble with "great deals" on lodging and/or rental cars and having my pricing called into question. With the confirmed reservation in hand, they have a difficult time not honoring them.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,309 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: missing Denali shuttle info

Yes Von, with those of us who book up to a year in advance, we have lots of time to look for "deals." Fortunately none of my great deals have been called into question...yet. (for example, $72/night for a 2-bedroom suite in the Homewood Suites in Anchorage). But still important to keep and carry all confirmations.

8. Re: missing Denali shuttle info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2012, 05:31