We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any place near Denali NP accept mailed gear?

Which Denali National Park and Preserve hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
11 posts
Save Topic
Any place near Denali NP accept mailed gear?

Hi,

Husband and I are going to Denali NP 7/15 - 7/24. Our flight arrives in Anchorage at 1:45AM and our shuttle bus to Denali picks us up at the airport at 7:30AM - so no chance to acquire supplies in town.

Our main concern is buying a backpackers stove (not going to chance bringing one in our checked luggage) near the park entrance. I have no worries we'll find fuel but a decent lightweight stove might be hard to come by.

Does anyone know of an establishment that accepts backpackers mailed supplies? We're planning on camping the entire time, so no chance of asking a hotel.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Any place near Denali NP accept mailed gear?

"Our main concern is buying a backpackers stove (not going to chance bringing one in our checked luggage)"

? Why not?

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,377 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any place near Denali NP accept mailed gear?

I also ask "Why not?" I camp in Denali NP quite a bit. I bring both a small propane stove as well as one of these small stoves:

gearbuyer.com/products/snow_peak_litemax_sto…

You can't bring the fuel on the plane with you, but no problem with such stoves (some stoves that retain the fuel in the stove are prohibited, but not the ones I mentioned above).

I have never tried to purchase fuel near Denali but I am sure there is a place near the park entrance (or you can check the Backcountry office to see if someone left some partially used fuel containers).

Madison, AL
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Any place near Denali NP accept mailed gear?

I agree... no fuel on planes, but stoves ok.

Can anyone tell me about Bear Spray on planes? Is it ok?

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,377 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any place near Denali NP accept mailed gear?

I would double check with your airline re: bear spray, but I have read on multiple occasions that it is not allowed in checked luggage. Are you going to be hiking in a remote area? Or just want the "feel good" feeling bear spray brings? Just curious. I have hiked rather extensively in Alaska and never saw the need for bear spray. And is some situations it can be more harmful than good depending on the wind, etc.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any place near Denali NP accept mailed gear?

Common sense and staying alert cannot be found in a spray can...........hike in groups, stay together and make noise........

Madison, AL
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Any place near Denali NP accept mailed gear?

Thank you for the friendly advise about Bear spray... but I already have my own strategy for bears... I was not asking about the pros/cons of spray, I was simply asking about bringing it on the plane.

Madison, AL
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Any place near Denali NP accept mailed gear?

fti, I didn't mean my last reply to be snotty. Yes, I plan to be very remote, but the spray is not for me, it's for a travel companion. I intend to carry a .45, and very responsibly at that. I carried it last year on multiple hikes in Denali.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,529 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any place near Denali NP accept mailed gear?

My experience has been that commercial flights do not allow bear spray in checked or hand baggage. I have also been advised of this in the many bear avoidance/defense classes I have attended. Calling the airline will give you the definitive answer. Small planes will sometimes allow you to bring it but you must tell the pilot and they have special containers they use to store it in while in flight. Never fly with it without informing the pilot, an exploding bear spray on a flight is a recipe for disaster.

On to the other subject, there is no reason not to bring a small burner in your luggage, it would be easier than trying to figure out how to get one when you arrive. For mailing you could call the post office and see if they will accept a general delivery, but you would have to get to the post office to pick it up.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,992 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any place near Denali NP accept mailed gear?

As far as I know, post offices in Denali receive mail to General Delivery - you would go pick it up there. Call 907-683-2291. For the Healy post office, call 907-683-2263. :)

Minneapolis...
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Any place near Denali NP accept mailed gear?

Thanks for the info everyone! My husband was mistaken in thinking we couldn't bring a stove in our luggage.