We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bookings for shuttles and tour buses in Denali for 2012?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Bookings for shuttles and tour buses in Denali for 2012?

Hi - I recently tried to book a shuttle or tour bus in Denali for early June 2012 but it said there weren't any - or at least not available yet. Can anyone tell me when they start taking bookings. Do I need to do this months in advance or weeks? We are arriving there 9 June and will have 2-3 full days in the area.

Thanks.

Noname
Level Contributor
486 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bookings for shuttles and tour buses in Denali for 2012?

Too early.

Central Reservations: 866.761.6629

Central Reservations Fax: 602.331.5258

Email is: mailto:reservedenali@aramark.com

Hours of Operation:

•September – March: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Monday - Friday

•April – August: 7:00 AM – 6:00 PM, Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Saturday & Sunday

•All times are Alaska Standard Time, which is four hours behind Eastern and one hour behind Pacific

Edited: 27 November 2011, 12:08
Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bookings for shuttles and tour buses in Denali for 2012?

Reservations for next year start Dec. 1st: nps.gov/dena/…visiting-denali.htm

You could probably wait just until weeks in advance, but many of us book months in advance so we don't have any concerns about getting the date and time we prefer. If you're not sure the time you want, then wait until you are.

If you phone, you can get 3 days of shuttles for the price of 2 (at least, that has been available in previous years, no reason to think it won't be next year.) If you're in Denali 3 days, you could pick the 2 days with the best weather to take the shuttles...or do all 3 if wildlife and hiking is a priority....

EDIT:

Yep, the 3-for-2 pass will be available in 2012: www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/bus-fees.htm

Edited: 27 November 2011, 16:12
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bookings for shuttles and tour buses in Denali for 2012?

Thanks very much for the advice. Appreciated.

Jeff

North Carolina
Level Contributor
38 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bookings for shuttles and tour buses in Denali for 2012?

Is the Tundra Wilderness Tour any better than the less expensive shuttle bus tour?

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,520 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bookings for shuttles and tour buses in Denali for 2012?

Check reservedenali.com to find the fares. You will see that the Tundra Wilderness Tour doesn't go as far into the park as most shuttle buses and costs a lot more. For the extra cost you get a lunch/snack, a hot drink and a video screen that the driver projects onto when wildlife is seen at a distance (he has a zoom video camera). Personally I think the video thing would be an annoyance (if I wanted to see wildlife on a video screen I would stay home and buy a DVD!). But to each his own!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,153 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bookings for shuttles and tour buses in Denali for 2012?

We had such a miserable experience on the TWT in 2006 we complained and they gave us a full refund. I would not suggest it.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
38 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bookings for shuttles and tour buses in Denali for 2012?

Thanks. You've confirmed what I was thinking. I'll stick with the shuttle bus.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Bookings for shuttles and tour buses in Denali for 2012?

The national park service's Denali website has not yet posted shuttle bus schedules or fares. The page where this info would be says: "Schedules for the 2012 season will be posted here once available from the bus company. They will likely be available sometime in the spring of 2012."

Hope that's early spring, given that those of us planning summer visits are already needing to lock in reservations elsewhere quite soon.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bookings for shuttles and tour buses in Denali for 2012?

Tricia, you can reserve the shuttles now: http://www.reservedenali.com/shuttles.aspx

New York
Level Contributor
3,290 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bookings for shuttles and tour buses in Denali for 2012?

I have several times in the past, used Aramarks, "late booking" with shuttle buses. They do hold back some seats and release them two days prior. I just call at 7am, and get any bus I want.

Denali Park is all about "distance". The Eielson shuttle bus is superior to the TWT for this alone, with a nice visitor center and flush toilets. :) 1/3 the cost.

The TWT buses do have cameras and a tv screen to view wildlife, if it is difficult for you to track and bring a pair of binoculars. Plenty of people take them. But in my opinion, the winner is the shuttle buses. The bottom cost wildlife adventure of Alaska.

Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...