We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denali shuttle bus Wonder lake or Kantishna

washington dc
Level Contributor
797 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Denali shuttle bus Wonder lake or Kantishna

We (family of 3 with college age son) are going to be in Denali for 2 full days Sep 2,3 and 2 half days sep 1,4

Planning to buy shuttle bus tickets for Sep 2,3

Q for you experts:

1. Is there any point to buying Sep 2 to Kantishna and Sep 3 to wonder lake? Is there more worthwhile nature/wildlife to see on the extra road Kantishna trip?

2. Should we buy second day to shorter destination so we can do at least 1 decent hike? i.e Wonder lake then Eielson?

3. Since park entrance is included in shuttle bus, do we stop at WAC to get $10 refund on the second day bus ticket?

Any other tips would also be greatly appreciated

Thanks

washington dc
Level Contributor
797 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Denali shuttle bus Wonder lake or Kantishna

Also, in order to view more wildlife and avoid crowds, is it best to go as early as possible or it does not matter as much?

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Denali shuttle bus Wonder lake or Kantishna

In all the many times I've been into Denali, I've only ridden to Kantishna a couple of times. The road was washboard & not worth the extra time past Wonder Lake, in my opinion. I'd rather be hiking :)

I would recommend tickets to Wonder Lake both days, as one can get off earlier to hike or take another shuttle toward the entrance if the mountain is not out.

There's a lot of nice, open-tundra hiking around Eielson or Thorofare Pass.

New York
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Denali shuttle bus Wonder lake or Kantishna

Kantishna is a lot of private property, there really is little reason to take the shuttle bus, unless you are staying there.

I would just get the two Wonder Lake Shuttle bus tickets, IF you are there part of another day, then get the buy two get three deal, and head in part way if of interest.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,514 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Denali shuttle bus Wonder lake or Kantishna

>>1. Is there any point to buying Sep 2 to Kantishna and Sep 3 to wonder lake? Is there more worthwhile nature/wildlife to see on the extra road Kantishna trip?

As said above, Wonder Lake is best.

>>2. Should we buy second day to shorter destination so we can do at least 1 decent hike? i.e Wonder lake then Eielson?

Buy to Wonder Lake both days (or all three days if you call and get the third day for free). Then you can decide on the spot if you prefer to get off at Eielson or not (fall colors should be peaking at the time you are there and if the Mountain is out, definitely go to Wonder Lake. If not, hop off at Eielson, catch a different bus back and do some hiking).

>>3. Since park entrance is included in shuttle bus, do we stop at WAC to get $10 refund on the second day bus ticket?

Yes. do that when you pick up your shuttle buses tickets at the WAC.

washington dc
Level Contributor
797 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Denali shuttle bus Wonder lake or Kantishna

Thanks, we will get 2 days tickets to wonder lake. Wish we could stay one more day but we are there for only 10 days and need to fit in bear viewing, glacier cruise and other hiking sightseeing. :)

Any input on whether we should make an effort to get the first shuttle? Right now 6.15, 6.45, 7.15 and 9.15 are available.

Really appreciate knowing that before buying

Thanks

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Denali shuttle bus Wonder lake or Kantishna

I see wildlife all times of the day, although sometimes when there is a heat wave the animals lay down in cool spots afternoons & *might* not be as active or visible, but that will not effect you in September.

As for "crowds," the shuttles can be full any time of the day. To get away from the crowds, get off in the high tundra areas and hike off behind a hill.

My recommendation is to take the shuttle times that best fit your biorhythms & travel plans. With 2 shuttle trips into the park you have more chances of wildlife & mountain views.

San Pedro Garza...
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Denali shuttle bus Wonder lake or Kantishna

We are going there first week of sep. Does it mean i sholud buy tickets now ?

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,514 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Denali shuttle bus Wonder lake or Kantishna

I would buy them this spring for sure. I would not wait until you arrive.

Best advice is to buy the tickets once your plans are 100% firm.

washington dc
Level Contributor
797 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Denali shuttle bus Wonder lake or Kantishna

Thanks, Denalicat

Just booked 9.15 shuttle on Sep 2 to go all the way to wonder lake, and another at 7.15 on Sep 3 also to wonder lake to get some hikes done.

Hoping for good weather :)

10. Re: Denali shuttle bus Wonder lake or Kantishna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2013, 10:34
Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...