We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

camping equipment rental

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
79 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
camping equipment rental

we are coming to Alaska for 17 days in june/july. we are thinking we like the idea of car/tenting camping at Denali. however flying our equipment is somewhat cost prohibitive. does anyone know if there is any place/anyone that offers equipment rental? Or would purchasing an inexpensive walmart tent, sleeping bags etc good enough for weather conditions in Denali at that time of year? second question is that hubby is not a big bear fan (not just the Chicago kind :) ). he is concerned about camping in Kenai areas with the salmon running and bear populations being very active. is he correct- is tent camping a crazy thing to do down there at that time?

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: camping equipment rental

You may find that packing an extra bag with ur tent and sleeping bags in it is less expensive than renting/buying depending on the airline. It is always nice to have your own gear and to know how it works. I have tent camped all over Alaska and as long as you follow proper precautions you should be fine. Just keep food and toiletries in the car and keep a clean camp.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: camping equipment rental

I agree with spacefry that the best choice is to pay extra luggage fee & bring your own. I have flown out of Alaska to backpack with friends numerous times with a duffel bag with tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, backpacking stove & backpack.

One cannot take fuel on the plane but must buy after landing.

It's really nice to have one's own equipment that you trust the rain fly & know how to use.

A second choice would be to rent from REI in Anchorage. They rent tents, sleeping bags, stoves & sleeping pads. However, you need to reserve ahead of time with them.

http://www.rei.com/stores/rentals.html#Alaska

http://www.rei.com/stores/anchorage.html

The key to dry camping in Alaska is a high quality, seamsealed rain fly. My tent flies have never failed, even in the hardest storms. It's also important to completely stake out the tent against the wind.

I would never trust a cheap tent to the weather conditions & winds of Alaska. Some of those tents have tiny little rain caps that are ridiculous. We see folks getting up wet & then having to put tarps over those all the time.

Have fun planning!

Edited: 16 January 2013, 14:56
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,545 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: camping equipment rental

Me three. I think once you find out the cost of renting camping gear, paying $35 or so each way for an extra piece of checked luggage with a tent and the rest of your camping gear will sound cheap. Plus, you will be familiar with the gear if you bring your own, which I always do.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,798 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: camping equipment rental

REI in Anchorage has rental equipment.

But I agree with the others ... it's cheaper to pay the baggage fee, plus you'll have your OWN stuff to camp with. I only packed a tent, sleeping bags, stove, tarp. I bought other incidentals when I arrived.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
79 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: camping equipment rental

you folks are great! after reading this i made hubby gather up all the basic needs and found you are so correct! it all really will fit into a checked bag! and so very less expensive at $40.00 round trip. i got info/quotes all the way to $450.00 per person! to rent?!?!?!? now i need you to help me figure where to go, stay and see. and not get eaten by the bears....

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,545 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: camping equipment rental

If you get eaten by the bears, hopefully your relatives will be able to get a refund on the return part of your airplane ticket :-).

It would help to have more info - do you have your dates/flights set yet? If so, please give the date and time of your arrival as well as the date/time of your departure. Are you planning on renting a car? Will you be tent camping the entire time? Fishing? What have you found so far about the Kenai Peninsula and Denali that interest you?

The more info you can give us about your interests, the better we will be able to help you.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
79 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: camping equipment rental

coming into anc on 6/20 returning home midnight 7/7/13. just companion and I. i have rented several cars :) one from high country. they made me nervous- kind of loosely run. could not give me straight answers on pick up and delivery. tried to switch to a mini van and got told he has not got a single other vehicle for rent ?!?!?!? so i got nervous and have a back up car rental that is supposed to be a hatchback- great for car camping. still trying to get an SUV or mini van at an affordable price. told the one fella that i did not want to buy the van- just to rent it :) we are open to any combination of tent camping and lodging. we are just coming prepared to experience Alaska in what ever comes our way and works timing wise. we are used to camping. we have 3000 volunteer hours each at nearby national parks including camping overnight hosts so camping in no hardship. though certainly if the weather turns miserable we will bail out and lodge. we will certainly do a fjord cruise,like to hike and love to fishing. damn I'd make a great wife :) so tentatively planning on 9 days on the peninsula and 8 up Denali way. one flight seeing somewhere- volcanoes or Denali???? any thoughts? did book 2 nights at russian river CG 24th & 25th (only open none on weekend) and have savage river c

GC booked 3 nights and Tek booked 3 nights. past that hoping for suggestions

any thoughts or suggestion?

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: camping equipment rental

What is GC that you have booked for 3 nights?? OK... I think that is Savage River CG.

What dates are Savage River CG?

What dates are Tek CG?

Be sure to get the TEK shuttle pass, best deal around. Ride the shuttle as much as you like while at Tek CG.

At Russian River CG will you rent salmon fishing equipment (waders, poles, etc), go with a fishing guide, or bring your own?

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
79 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: camping equipment rental

denalicat! one of my new idols. so glad you popped in. i am at savage CG 7/1-7/3; then tek 7/3-7/6. after reading an older post of yours i had enough sense to listen and did purchase tek pass reserved wonder lake on 7/4 first bus. they told me it gets to tek about 6:20 am. what are your thoughts flight see Denali or down on peninsula for volcano/bears? or not at all?

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: camping equipment rental

6/20 arrive Anchorage (WHAT TIME?)

6/21

6/22

6/23

6/24 Russian River CG

6/25 Russian River CG

6/26

6/27

6/28

6/29

6/30

7/1 Savage River CG

7/2 Savage River CG

7/3 Savage River CG

7/4 Tek

7/5 Tek

7/6 Tek

7/7 Midnight flight home

You certainly have time for bear viewing trip, flight seeing Denali & such. Neither are my areas of expertise, but others will chime in.

Edited: 22 January 2013, 03:00
Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...