We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska weather

Lacygne, Ks
Level Contributor
53 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Alaska weather

My latest question involves the weather. I know I could probably look online and have tried but the information wasn't clear. Anyway, what would be your best guess as to the weather in early September vs. mid August for a trip to Denali and a cruise. How soon does it get cold. I know it's hard to say but try :) Thanks!

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaska weather

As you can see by this chart the temperature difference wuld be about 10 degrees colder in September on averag:

usparks.about.com/blplanner-denali12a.htm

I think that is pretty accurate. You will lose some daylight and get frost overnight in September. You really can't depend on anything though. I have been in the park (near the entrance) on June 21 and it snowed and was quite cold. I was there a couple years ago in early September and the days were warm (50) and the nights cold (20). It also depends on what your definition of "get cold" is.

Your cruise weather will be completely different since you will be in southeast Alaska and in many places.

When I lived in Alaska I always felt like Fall set in around the second week of August. It's when you notice frost, the sun angle changes and the trees beginning to change

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,063 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaska weather

For the cruise part of your trip......September will be colder/rainier, often times the seas will be rougher or there will be low fog obscuring the mountains......August would be better for a cruise.....

3. Re: Alaska weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2014, 06:15