We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Planners for Alaska trip

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Trip Planners for Alaska trip

Can someone recommend a few well known, well liked, trip planning services for a trip to Alaska. Haven't booked anything yet but plan is to fly into Anchorage spend 7 - 9 days and want to do Denali and the Kenai Peninsula. Would be the last week in July/first week in August of this year. Will be 2 adults and one active 7 year old. We want to do hiking, wildlife viewing, dog sledding demo, sea kayaking, Resurrection Bay tour, see a glacier calving, really everything :-). I like comfort along with the adventure. Just need help putting it all together.

Thanks,

Karen

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,641 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Planners for Alaska trip

Yes - tripadvisor! It is actually pretty easy to book & plan your own trip. I would reserve your car today! If you look through some trip reports, you will see how most folks do a 7-9 day trip - I would say to try to make it for as long as you can. :) We can help you will the lodging and other planning once you have your flight booked and your car reserved. Happy planning! :)

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Planners for Alaska trip

Our flights are booked! Arrive in Anchorage at 11:55p on Sunday July 28th and depart Tuesday August 6th at 12:50am. Will book car next.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,159 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Planners for Alaska trip

I savvy traveler can plan their own Alaskan vacation . . . 100's of people do it every year through the assistance of the volunteers here on Trip Advisor. I would not pay money to a planner who will charge you fees and most likely not pass on the deals available, especially those you can find using the discount coupon books.

Read as much as you can from past trip reports here on TA, plus the "Top Questions" on the main Alaska Forum page. Once you have some ideas about what you'd like to see/do (especially since you can't do it all . . . just not enough time with too much distance), folks can help you put it together.

Edited: 26 March 2013, 11:51
Muncie, IN
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Planners for Alaska trip

I planned my first trip to Alaska this coming August using only the reviews and forum posts from Tripadvisor. The experts give the best advice!! One in particular was reserving a rental car right away. I made my reservation and just out of curiosity checked the prices again 10 days later, and they had more than doubled!!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Planners for Alaska trip

Thanks. Got my car reservation and first night at hotel in Anchorage since we get in at midnight.

From there I'm lost, lol. We want to do Talkeetna, Denali and then Kenai Peninsula. Given the activities in the different areas how much time should I spend north vs south and is there a reason we would head north or south first? We get in on a Monday. We have basically 8 days including teh day we have to be back in Anchorage for a midnight flight out. I have a crazy long list of things we want to do so will read up on a bunch of trip reports and try to narrow down.

Appreciate all the help. Given the large number of posts these seems like a full time job for you experts!!

Karen

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Planners for Alaska trip

It doesn't really matter which way you head first but you should plan on at least 2 night in Denali, 2 nights in Seward and one night between the two places, it is a long drive. SOmething like this could work.

Day 1: Overnight Anchorage

Day 2: Head north toward Denali, look for lodging north of the park in the Healy area. On the drive north you can stop at The Iditarod headquarters, Talkeetna and the various scenic stops along the way. Pick up supplies in Anchorage or Wasilla since variety goes down and price goes up as you travel north.

Day 2: All day shuttle bus trip into Denali, at least as far as Eielson

Day 3: Denali Visitor Center, Dog Kennels and drive south (overnight Palmer)

Day 4: Visit Matanuska Glacier or Hatcher Pass/Independence Mine

Day 5: Drive to Seward seeing the sights along the way (Portage Glacier, Wildlfe Conservation Center, Exit Glacier)

Day 6: All Day Kenai Fjords tour (6+ hours) or Sea Kayaking that includes water taxi

Day 7: Seavey's dog kennel Iditaride near Seward then head to Girdwood and overnight

Day 8: Either head to Anchorage or to Whittier, in Whittier you could do a Glacier Cruise and then head to your flight, figure on 2 hours from Whittier to Anchorage depending on the tunnel

www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

http://www.ididaride.com/

Once you narrow down your lodging you should come back and ask for opinions between a couple places in each location. You could leave off the second night in Palmer and head to Seward so that you could do Kayaking and a Kenai Fjords tour.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Planners for Alaska trip

Looks great. Might change it up a little but it's a good framework for me to work within. Much appreciated. I think we'll stay two nights in Denali and then 3 down in Seward.

Why the suggestion to stay in Healy, outside the park? Cheaper?

Karen

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,060 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Planners for Alaska trip

The Alaska State Planner is a useful tool with thousands of links to other useful sites.

See: www.travelalaska.com

Once you narrow down your choices of where you want to stay - the local Chamber of Commerce websites are very useful in conjunction with TA reviews & forums of course :)

Wake Forest, North...
Level Contributor
259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Planners for Alaska trip

You son is at a great age for Alaska. We took our 8 and 10 year old kids last year to Alaska. Here is our trip report in case you haven't seen it. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k54746…

If you son is interested in mountain climbing, be sure to stop in Talkeenta. We went to the ranger station where the climbers left from and got to talk with teh rangers and pilots along with watching a video. We also got to have breakfast with a bunch of climbers who had just gotton off the mountain which was one of the highlights of our trip.

My kids loved Crow Creek Mine in Girdwood and Seavy's Ididarod. Savage River Hike in Denali was also a lot of fun. Be sure to get the backpacks in Denali. In Seward be sure to go to Lowell point and spend time walking along the waterfront. Lots of wildlife right there.

We really liked Denali Lakeview in Healy, beautiful and the Alaska room had a ton of space.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,641 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Planners for Alaska trip

www.denalichamber.com for lodging in Healy - I am happy to make recommendations if you can tell me a bit more about what you are looking for. :)

Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...