We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would you be able to spend 5+ days exploring Denali?

Florida, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Topic
Would you be able to spend 5+ days exploring Denali?

I went to Denali last summer & stayed for 2 days, hiked & rafted...I feel like I barely got to explore that park, but would 5+ days be over kill?

port republic
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would you be able to spend 5+ days exploring Denali?

no, but if you got bored you could visit fairbanks in 2 hours

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,478 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would you be able to spend 5+ days exploring Denali?

Most people visiting Denali (and Alaska in general), end up (if even subconsciously) with a "been there, done that" attitude. Read some of the posts about tentative itineraries - one night here, maybe two nights there, driving all around southcentral Alaska to see as much as possible because "this is our only trip to Alaska." In Alaska less is more.

Personally I love Denali. I am taking two trips this summer there, both multiple nights. In June I am spending 2 nights near the entrance in Healy then three nights at Wonder Lake. In September I am spending one night near the entrance, then four nights at Wonder Lake. Then I have 4 nights in the middle where my plans are still not firm. Then I go back to Denali for 4 nights for the Road Lottery (hoping and praying and assuming we will get permits for a couple of days).

I could easily spend a week in Denali - hiking, scenery, wildlife viewing, photography. It has so much to offer.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would you be able to spend 5+ days exploring Denali?

Overkill? I think not. I'm in the same camp as FTI regarding Denali. Any trip I have to Alaska that can accommodate time in Denali, gets priority scheduling for me. I've been three times, each for an increasing number of days. The last two, I camped inside the park at TEK and will do it again in 2014 . . . probably for five nights.

I would say if you felt like there was so much more to see and experience . . . or that the first trip was simply worth repeating all over again . . . then go for it.

Wasilla, Alaska
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Would you be able to spend 5+ days exploring Denali?

You can easily spend 5+ nights in Denali depending on your love of the wilderness and sense of adventure. There are so many activities. Day hiking, relaxing at a wilderness lodge, rafting, help-hiking. It would be great to have your first day at the park entrance to really get to know the history of Denali. Then 2-3 days at a wilderness lodge at the end of the Park Road. The lodges include transportation which takes you along the 90 mile Park Road. Be sure to ask about a naturalist or guide on the bus who can describe the trip--it makes all the difference. You can also plan to take the train either to or from Denali--the ride is great & so relaxing.

A lot of folks are in a hurry so there schedule doesn't allow them to slow down and really enjoy Denali. There is plenty to fill 5+days.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would you be able to spend 5+ days exploring Denali?

Another push for the Wilderness Lodge at Kantishna? What most people visit Denali Nat'l Park doesn't require going that remote (or paying those prices). Sorry, I'm not a fan and would not recommend it for the general traveling public.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,238 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Would you be able to spend 5+ days exploring Denali?

The time staying at Kantishna or Wonder Lake are worthwhile, if you can afford it.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Would you be able to spend 5+ days exploring Denali?

The only way to stay at Wonder Lake is in a tent, one of the cheapest stays in the park ;)

And, I must add, one of the best views out my tent when the mountain is out!

Edited: 06 May 2013, 13:47
Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,219 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Would you be able to spend 5+ days exploring Denali?

Bushwacker - Fairbanks is more than two hours from Denali. It is around 125 miles, Personally, Fairbanks will not releive any bordom at Denali. We are going there in August, but only so our granddaughter can do the riverboat tour.

port republic
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Would you be able to spend 5+ days exploring Denali?

can't you see I'm from Jersey. 125 miles should be about an hour and a half. in Texas it would be an hour.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,238 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Would you be able to spend 5+ days exploring Denali?

Afford the dollars in Kantishna or the discomfort in a tent. Nothing beats waking up with the mountain out!