We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denali to Talkeetna

I&E
New York
Level Contributor
64 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Denali to Talkeetna

Are there must stop places along the route from Denali to Talkeetna. Will be travelling with my 75 year old parents and wanted to see if there were picture spots or towns on the way that they should get to see as part of their alaska experience

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Denali to Talkeetna

There's no towns between Denail & Talkeetna except Cantwell and there's not much there...

The South Denali Overlook at Mile 136, the Veteran's Memorial/Byers Lake at Mile 147 and the North Denali Overlook are all good stops.

There's also the McKinley Princess Lodge just north of the Chulitna River. If the mountain is out it's a nice place to view it from.

Oh, and there's Trapper's Creek. There's a place there called WalMikes that looks interesting, but we've never stopped.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,641 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Denali to Talkeetna

Lots of amazingly beautiful places to look at scenery - but not really any development. :)

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Denali to Talkeetna

The Mt McKinley Princess Lodge (mile 133) would be a good stop for lunch and views of the mountain (provided it is out). The drive in is probably less than a mile off the Parks Hwy. From there Talkeetna is about another 50 miles.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,641 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Denali to Talkeetna

The Princess is nice - great views, but I think Talkeenta offers better restaurants - lots more choices. :)

I&E
New York
Level Contributor
64 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Denali to Talkeetna

Great. Thanks to all

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Denali to Talkeetna

Gee, I always liked dining at Princess, and in my opinion, better than anything in Talkeetna. But, I guess that depends on one's idea of food. Never tried that high end Talkeetna Lodge. Have only tried two places in town, one of them that brewery. However, never any complaints.

7. Re: Denali to Talkeetna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2014, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...