We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helicopter/plane to glacier--while on cruise or Talkeetna?

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
44 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Helicopter/plane to glacier--while on cruise or Talkeetna?

We are doing a 7 day cruise from Vancouver to whittier. A must do for me is land on a glacier. My question is should I plan to do it while on the cruise or after? We are spending two nights in Denali after the cruise & are renting a car from Anchorage. We can be in Talkeetna around 3:00 on day 1 & I can book plan for it then. I am concerned about weather conditions & it being cancelled. It is possible to try again on day 3 when I drive back to Anchorage from Denali for a late night flight. My kids would love a helicopter ride instead of a plane (although a float plane may interest them).

Our cruise ports are Ketchikan, Skagway, & Juneau. I planned to do the glacier flight in Skagway & do the whale watching & Mendenhall glacier drop off & bus back in Juneau. Is there a preference? Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Denali
Denali
2,178 Reviews
Denali National Park and Preserve, AK
Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
44 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helicopter/plane to glacier--while on cruise or Talkeetna?

In case it matters, I wanted to add that we are traveling in mid August.

Fort Walton Beach...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Helicopter/plane to glacier--while on cruise or Talkeetna?

If a flightseeing tour with glacier landing is a priority of yours, I would highly advise having some flexibility in your schedule for another try just in case the weather doesn't cooperate.

I was advised on this board to have some flexibility with my schedule in case the weather wasn't cooperating for the flight. I'm so glad that was pointed out to me and I made those adjustments because I ended up waiting 2 extra days to take that flight and it was a miracle that the weather cleared up on my last day to take that flight. On my way back down to Anchorage from Denali, I ended up waiting about 6 hours on my last day to try before the weather cleared up, but it was so worth it. The flightseeing tour and glacier landing was definitely the highlight of many highlights of my trip.

Mentioned in this post
Denali
Denali
2,178 Reviews
Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Helicopter/plane to glacier--while on cruise or Talkeetna?

We've gone out of Juneau, and out of Talkeetna - definitely prefered the one out of Juneau, and if you have enough time in port, you can co-book it so that you could still do whale watching. We did whale watching with Orca and glacier landing with Coastal and I can recommend both.

Mentioned in this post
Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
44 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Helicopter/plane to glacier--while on cruise or Talkeetna?

Thanks for the responses. Cjnky, can you tell me why you preferred Juneau to Talkeetna?

I am concerned about waiting until Talkeetna (end of our trip) to do this & weather doesn't cooperated. But do think the view of the mountains & glacier at Talkeetna will be amazing. I don't think I can go wrong with either option (Juneau/Skagway or Talkeetna)!

Mentioned in this post
Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Helicopter/plane to glacier--while on cruise or Talkeetna?

May be just because it was our first time? I'm sure you will enjoy either one.

Wasilla, Alaska
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Helicopter/plane to glacier--while on cruise or Talkeetna?

I am not sure if anyone has mentioned this, yet. Doesn't it get too mushy in August for glacier landings out of Talkeetna in August? I think I remember that being the case the last time I went flightseeing there. I recommend checking with K2 or Talkeektna Air Taxi on this. The landing is amazing but the flightseeing without a landing is still incredible. I've even done a flightseeing trip on a cloudy day and loved it. A friend was visiting and only had 1 day that he could go, so we took a chance.

Good luck with your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
44 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Helicopter/plane to glacier--while on cruise or Talkeetna?

Thanks for the information. I actually booked a helicopter glacier landing out of Skagway. I didn't want it getting cancelled due to weather & not have time to do it later in my trip. We also have limited time in Denali so thought it made more sense as a port excursion.

Mentioned in this post
Denali
Denali
2,178 Reviews
Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Helicopter/plane to glacier--while on cruise or Talkeetna?

We did the one out of Talkeetna that lands on Ruth Glacier and if I remember it was a July trip and with K2 Aviation (there are others). We plan on doing it again this August as have three nights at Mt McKinley Princess Lodge. It was like that when we did our tour - rained the first two days and cleared up beautifully the last and we did the tour on our way back to Anchorage

Mentioned in this post
K2 Aviation
K2 Aviation
1,385 Reviews
Talkeetna, AK
9. Re: Helicopter/plane to glacier--while on cruise or Talkeetna?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2014, 05:16