We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Campground?

Which Denali National Park and Preserve hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Honolulu
1 post
Save Topic
Which Campground?

We have three options :

1. Riley Creek for 3 nights,

2. Teklanika for 3 nights,

3. Riley Creek (2 nights) and Savage River (1 night)

Cannot decide as I have never been to Denali NP...

Will be traveling with 3 kids in a 32 ft RV...

Will have a Coleman or other brand Hot Shower device...

Do those things work?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,523 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Campground?

I would go to Teklanika myself, but then it depends on how handy you want to be to entrance. :)

Cantwell, Alaska
Level Contributor
63 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Campground?

I would recommend going to Teklanika for 3 nights. You will be in the park and can get a Tek Pass for traveling in the park each day on the bus.

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Campground?

We love Tek - because of theTEK pass, the chance to drive that far into the park, and the shorter bus ride to Wonder Lake. We loved Savage River because we were lucky and had views of the mountains everyday. However with 3 kids, Riley Creek may be your best bet with more activities close by. I think it really depends on the age of your kids. I think you'll be quite happy with any of them.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Campground?

Here's a break-down from the Top Questions for Denali:

tripadvisor.com/…47170586

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Campground?

And more Tek CG info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143022-i1271-k369…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143022-i1271-k360…

Cantwell, Alaska
Level Contributor
63 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Campground?

My kids never needed structured activities. If they had sticks and rocks and water around they would find things to do for hours. I say get off the grid and go to Tek. It will stand out in their minds as an adventure instead of just another RV campground.

Wasilla, Alaska
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Campground?

I agree on Teklanika for 3 nights. I haven't been in a few years, but sent friends from NC last summer and they loved it. It's farther into the park which is a big advantage.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Campground?

For our upcoming RV trip in 2014, I'm planning for 3-4 nights at TEK followed by a single night at Riley.

The TEK pass is the best value for in-park shuttle transportation and should be utilized if possible. The down side is you cannot go back to the entrance area until you're ready to leave the park . . . or you must buy a shuttle pass to get back into the park to your campground at TEK.

We are going to have one closing night at Riley to allow for access to the showers & dumping station. After a few nights of roughing it, we (4 adults) will be ready for real showers! That also gives plenty of time to explore all of the neat things around the entrance area (and the first 14 miles inside the park).

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Campground?

>>>Will have a Coleman or other brand Hot Shower device...Do those things work?<<<

I was recently camping w/my sister and BIL on BLM land in the high desert of California with no running water. They had one of those and while we mostly took sponge baths, I did use the sun shower thingee to wash my hair and it worked just fine. I don't think I would have liked attempting a full shower with one, but for limited use it was fine.

10. Re: Which Campground?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...