We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train or Drive to Denali

Which Denali National Park and Preserve hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Train or Drive to Denali

Hello,

I have 2 options to get to Denali:

1. Denali Princess package via train

Pros: Scenic train journey from Anchorage

Cons: Denali Princess lodge is too commercial. Room faces a restaurant.

2. McKinley Creekside lodge where we drive to Denali from Anchorage

Pros: Our room here is creekside, more nature and scenic

Cons: Miss out on the scenic train journey. Driving might be scenic as well??

We won't be taking train in other part of our journey in Alaska. I'm debating if train journey is better than a scenic facing room. Please help as tomorrow is the last day to cancel my reservations for a full refund.

BTW both options work out the for the same price($).

Thanks in advance!

Edited: 20 June 2013, 06:50
1. Re: Train or Drive to Denali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 11:44
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,199 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train or Drive to Denali

The train and road pretty much parallel each other between Anchorage and Denali. So one is not much more scenic than the other.

Lots of pros of having a car at Denali:

-can stop wherever you want along the way

-can take earlier or later shuttle buses into the park with a car without relying on Princess shuttles

-can drive the first 15 miles of the park road at night if of interest

-more options for eating with a car

-cheaper and better lodging away from Glitter Gulch

Even when I go to Denali just to tent camp inside the park I take a rental car with me. Much more flexibility.

A car at Denali is a no brainer to me. Do it! will you be taking the train to Seward as the other part of your trip?

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,641 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train or Drive to Denali

One question - why is a scenic view from your room important? Surely, you will want to make better use of your time here other than sitting in your room looking out the window. As for the train it does more or less follow the same area as the Parks Hwy except for the area between Talkeetna and Hurricane. Having your own car gives you control when you go, when or where you can stop, etc.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,031 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train or Drive to Denali

Some more pros with a rental car......

Driving a rental car is faster than the train.........you will have access to all your luggage if you need anything.......

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,935 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train or Drive to Denali

I would do the rental car - and I think McKinley Creekside is fine - though I am sure that isn't your only option for places to stay in the area - with a car, there are many more options. :)

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train or Drive to Denali

Rental car, for all the reasons mentioned above.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,296 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train or Drive to Denali

I'd drive. In fact I just did.

IMO, one is so much more able to enjoy the scenery when you can actually stop and look around (can't do that on a train). I just stayed at Mckinley Creekside and I loved it. Our cabin was very simple; but clean and comfortable. They were completely booked (full), so there were a lot of people around and yet it was still quiet. It's a pretty location and the restaurant is fabulous (though it can be busy).

8. Re: Train or Drive to Denali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2014, 06:17