We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denali Park Lodging

Which Denali National Park and Preserve hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Denali Park Lodging

Hi,

I need some help from the experts and experienced. I am planning to visit Alaska in middle of August 2013. I already booked the plane tickets and now will be doing the accommodations (not doing the RV since this is my first time w/ 3 kids). My questions are below:

1. Want to stay inside the Denali Park. What are my options. Please let me know the links and your opinion of inside and outside the Park options (pro/con) difference in experience vs. budget etc.

2. How many days are good (not a big time hiker or backpacking type). Just mainly sightseeing and photography.

My total time is 6 days. What are other options you suggest vs. budget vs. time frame (cruise vs. island hopping vs. railraod vs. driving around etc.).

Thanks in advance.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,309 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Denali Park Lodging

Welcome to the forum. I assume you have done enough initial research to know that staying "inside the park" means staying 90 miles inside the park at lodges that cost +-$400/night or else tent camping, correct? If the lodges are in your budget, check availability with the lodges then post back here. If camping is more of interest, you can find availability at reservedenali.com

Edited: 15 July 2013, 12:23
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Denali Park Lodging

Welcome to TA!

Many prefer lodging in nearby Healy for Denali National Park, much more budget- friendly than at Kantishna & not as busy as entrance lodging:

http://www.a1cms.com/_dcc/accommodations/

How old are the children as that may impact recommendations?

6 days including your arrival & departure days?

Edited: 15 July 2013, 14:33
Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,784 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Denali Park Lodging

August 2013 is in a few weeks. This is rather late in the game to start planning an Alaskan vacation.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Denali Park Lodging

Thanks for your replies.

Since my trip might once in a lifetime, I am willing to splurge little bit if the experience is worth it to fork over $400/night to stay inside the park (can you please provide links to those Cabins. I tried to locate them but got confused as to which ones are inside vs. by the entrance vs. outside w/ Mountain view etc.).

I am open to tent camping inside the Park if it is safe (not bear issue) and comfortable (not too cold).

My kids are 8, 9 and 14 years old. My duration there is 6 days w/o arrival/departure.

I am planning to rent a car and then book few nights at an Anchorage Hotel beside the ones in the Park.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,784 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Denali Park Lodging

I don't think you are going to get anything at only $400 deep in the park, more like $750 or more. And, all probably booked up by now anyway

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Denali Park Lodging

Within the park at Kantishna are:

Kantishna Roadhouse

Camp Denali/ North Face Lodge

Skyline Lodge/Kantishna Air

You can get Skyline for the cheapest for the number in your group- close to $400.

Edited: 15 July 2013, 17:05
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Denali Park Lodging

k2iks, yes, I just realized this is for next month, so good chance Skyline is booked since they only have a few rooms.

Good luck, AT_12!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,309 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Denali Park Lodging

I would not stay in Anchorage for the balance of your time. I would be looking at going somewhere in the Matsu Valley or else Girdwood or Seward. Lots of kid-friendly activities to do near Girdwood (see the Top Questions about Girdwood).

Note too when I mentioned $400/night that was per person at the lodges, not total price. Kids might or might not get a discount, but for sure it would cost a bundle.

Personally I love staying at Wonder Lake Campground. Sure there is always a "chance" of bear issues, but I have stayed there countless times and have never had a problem with bears in the campground. They are very adamant about keeping a clean camp in Alaska (unlike the lower 48 - I just came back from Yellowstone and Glacier NP's and though they preach keeping a clean camp, especially food, people keep all kinds of cr@p all over their campsites.

Edited: 15 July 2013, 17:39
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,191 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Denali Park Lodging

Staying in the park at Wonder lake or Kantishna is an amazing experience. Good luck with your plans.

Bend, Oregon...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Denali Park Lodging

k2iks: So negative. I am going later this week and just made reservations a week ago. Choices may be fewer but dont let this poster disuade you.

Edited: 16 July 2013, 18:20
Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...